RAGBRAI & How Does Warm Weather Kill Off the Coronavirus?

I get the impression RAGBRAI has nothing to fear from the Coronavirus in that warm weather should spell the end of the outbreak according to some news outlets. But does someone know why warm weather will save RAGBRAI? Either that or the US will continue to keep it well under control so no one will even think about cancelling RAGBRAI.

There are lots of myths about this virus as a popular search right now is how Corona beer causes the Conronavirus. Not sure how that got started.

Interesting fact according to my doc, the flu this year has killed thousands more people then the Coronavirus. Much of the fear seems to be a bit of an over reaction.

Don’t want to see RAGBRAI fall to the fear like the UAE Tour did:
https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/news/uae-tour-halted-after-five-stages-amid-coronavirus-threat_505611

This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by mootsman.

75 Replies

Sandaltan ., March 21, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Hey…………..how about them Cubs!!!

RIDE RIGHT

Jboz, March 21, 2020 at 6:33 pm

Hey…………..how about them Cubs!!!

I have (or had) opening day tickets. And to make it worse, the opening day forecast at Wrigley is for sunny and 56. Painful. Oh well, at least they will be tied for first place for awhile!

SFC JKL 2, March 22, 2020 at 12:41 am

Make sure to refill the pitcher since you drank all the koolaid. The CDC has been on top of this since before the Democrats started calling President Trump a racist for banning flights from China. Hopefully it will be blown over by the end of July. I have serious riding plans for this year.
Enjoy your time until the Cubs are statistically eliminated.

David Strahl, March 22, 2020 at 12:55 pm

My statement was intended to keep things in perceptive when the true value of the RAGBRAI experience is the people that we meet along the way including all the people in the communities that put months of work into preparing their communities for our onslaught. The communities are under stress too knowing they have to take care of themselves during this historic event and while we all want everything to be normal as soon as possible the fact is it may be a while before things are normal again. Getting people into to groups to plan for our visit is just unlikely for a while and if things do get back to normal within a time frame that would allow RAGBRAI to actually happen on schedule, we as the RAGBRAI Nation must be happy with whatever the host communities offer. Do not criticize their effort or offerings, just be grateful for still opening their community and hearts to thousands of strangers.

Everyone has political opinions and based on their respective information source such opinions are open for challenge and this is not the time to further divide ourselves when we have to come together to get past this crisis. Nor is this forum the place to voice political opinions there are plenty of other places to make such positions. RAGBRAI Nation is a force for good and community that needs to be grown into a stronger spirit than it already is, political positions do not make us stronger.

Richard Luckenbill, March 22, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Well said, David! Been a part of the ride since SAGBRAI. While we all are pleading (silently or verbally) our case for no cancellation, we are in the middle of historic change in our country. I was part of the planning committee last year in Burlington, and the work to host our ride is extensive. This year’s pass-thru and overnight towns will likely rethink having our army march through their areas any time soon. While I long to participate in this ride yearly, maybe we will all remain home riding the scheduled daily distances that week, facetiming our experiences, and keeping in shape for a wonderful 2021. Let’s not pressure the planning committees, just pray. Ride On and Stay Calm!

mootsman, March 22, 2020 at 4:32 pm

I disagree … politics belongs in our conversation and letting this fool off the hook until the crisis blows over is just wrong because it’s been a crisis since he got into the office. Guy’s a crook and serial liar who didn’t know how to run a business much less lead a country.

What RAGBRAI does about CV belongs here. No, politics does not belong here. That’s for websites for bored retirees needing to fill up their day.

Mike Howe, March 22, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Why is politics not allowed but some of the other threads that dont have anything to do with Ragbrai or cycling allowed? If you dont like someone talking about politics or anything other subject matter then guess what…. you dont have to respond.

klkoopman, March 23, 2020 at 6:19 am

If you want to argue politics, knock yourself out. Just realize 45% of the country feels one way about the president and 45% feels another way. 10% have no idea who the president is. This is argued on websites EVERYWHERE, and it seems sad to add the RAGBRAI forum to that contentious list. I have never seen anyone post, in response to an argument: “My God, you’re right. I realize now that I have had incorrect ideas for my entire life. Thank you for setting me straight!” Zealots always hope so, but it never happens.

Back to the topic of this thread, unfortunately I don’t believe RAGBRAI is going to happen this year. Planning is severely hindered for the next month. The July event breaks down to 15,0000+ people invading a town of 5,000, then that activity is multiplied by 7. That’s one heck of a lot of contact. I doubt if the State public health department is not going to be comfortable with that.

This reply was modified 7 months ago by klkoopman.

Jboz, March 23, 2020 at 6:37 am

Initially I thought “no way will RAGBRAI be cancelled”, but this thing has mushroomed fast. Still, it could be over as fast as it started. Time will tell. Here we are wearing masks at the grocery store and shutting down businesses…all in the course of a couple of weeks. The idea of a 20k invading army descending on a small town kind of puts it in perspecive. If it’s cancelled, I suspect riders will still ride their bikes across Iowa in July…loosely organized and much smaller numbers (maybe solo, maybe small teams). It would of course not sanctioned by The DMR, and not supported by charters, various routes and dates. I will most likely be one of those riders. And if that happens, the friendliness and generosity of the people of Iowa will continue to shine through brightly.

mcpartla, March 23, 2020 at 7:57 am

Think about it … a virus that is infecting and killing people that can be stopped in its tracks if we only stop meeting other people. Germany announced no more than two people should get together meeting. Two people … are we in the Twilight Zone? No cure in sight. Spring Breakers ignoring the guidelines and seniors on Ragbrai so tough we’ll meet and infect others because we want to bike across Iowa even if doing so we pick up the invisible enemy and carry it home to our grandkids and loved ones? Hello, America … is anyone home?

mcpartla, March 23, 2020 at 7:58 am

Ride on but solo.

mcpartla, March 23, 2020 at 8:00 am

Let’s say it will be over, hope for the best and pretend we made our very greatest effort and surely it will be so for us.

mootsman, March 23, 2020 at 11:29 am

This will all be decided by RAGBRAI officials closer to the new cancellation deadline. No need to make guesses or predictions. Road riders – RAGBRAI riders tend to be braver souls since we already deal with cars coming at us from behind that could mow us down, yet we fear not or at least overcome our fear. Hang tight everyone. If RAGBRAI goes this year and fear does significantly cut down participation, it could be a fun to experience an uncrowded RAGBRAI.

This reply was modified 7 months ago by mootsman.

trknight, March 25, 2020 at 12:01 am

Coronavirus is increasing significantly in countries with a lot warmer weather, including some in equatorial climates. I doubt summer time in Iowa will eliminate the risk if the disease is still present. A current hotspot in the U.S. is New Orleans with Mardi Gras just a few weeks ago plus visitors from all over. RAGBRAI could be a “perfect storm”…

coloradoshortbus, March 26, 2020 at 1:24 pm

I will not be riding this year. As trknight stated, this would be the “perfect storm”. Even if the current virus is stopped by May or June (which I doubt), the second wave will start in July-Septmber.

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015