RAGBRAI IV

I’m sure this is not the first posting of this classic video of RAGBRAI IV. It’s about thirty minutes of 70s retro bike gear and the an example of Iowa’s never changing great hospitality. The great ride across Iowa has come along way. Enjoy.

http://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_37-83xsjcbh

18 Replies

John Richardson, February 4, 2019 at 10:14 am

Gypsy Rose, Your first RAGBRAI with your young family sounds priceless!
In the early 80s I moved to Alaska and ended up spending 13 years there. After I returned I became involved with raising my family and my other vice, running. It wasn’t until 2003 when a friend from Alaska suggested we ride RAGBRAI. So that’s when I finally did, and My first RAGBRAI XXXI also started at Glenwood. I was completely unaware of the coast to coast bikecentennial ride until I became an ACA member many years later. In 2014 a self supported ultra endurance bike race was started that follows ACA’s route 76 and since I had always wanted to do a coast to coast ride this really appealed to me. I retired in 2016 and soon signed up for the 2017 Trans Am race and I must say it was an amazing adventure. Afterward I was informed that no one had ever done this race on a tandem and since I had a tandem I was interested but I didn’t have a stoker so the search was on. On last years RAGBRAI I approached a good friend and a veteran of 21 RAGBRAIs about being my stoker in next years race, and he agreed. I don’t consider us as geezers but we will have the advantage of 131 years of experience, and since the race is held in June we should be well trained for this years RAGBRAI.

KenH, February 4, 2019 at 12:07 pm

At the beginning of the video it appears that it will be hosted or narrated by or at least occasionally commented on by “Mary Jane Odell”. She never appears again which leaves one wondering if she ever did have that “game” of Frisbee? For some reason I felt compelled to do a search on her and as it turns out she was quite an accomplished woman who died about 9 years ago. You can read her obituary here. I was living in the Chicago suburbs for a brief period while she was on the air here so I may have seen her on local TV although I have no memory of that. Since she interviewed Dave Brubeck I suppose it is possible she shared my love of the 5/4 time signature. No way to find out now but even though her association with RAGBRAI may not have gone beyond a brief video piece she has now become another fascinating Iowan I’ve had the pleasure to “meet” since I started doing the ride.

Gypsy Rose, February 4, 2019 at 5:52 pm

I retired in 2016 and soon signed up for the 2017 Trans Am race and I must say it was an amazing adventure. . .

John,

What a terrific way to enter retirement! Sounds like you’ve got many more adventures ahead.

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015