RAGBRAI L? (aka the 50th anniversary ride)

Not to get too far out in front of my handlebars…and I know, I know, we have 2 more RAGBRAIs between now and 2022, the big FIVE OHH. But the cold weather is setting in and I know I will soon move into dreaded “winter mode” with my only cycling activity being the indoor trainer and my imagination…so I guess I’m thinking ahead a bit.

Do you think that The Register/RAGBRAI/TJ might have something really really special in store for us?

What are some ideas you might have? A very unique jersey (above and beyond the normal great ones)? Maybe some really big name music acts? A special commemorative route…maybe designed to retrace the first one as much as possible (only stretched by a day)? An east to west route, or would that be sacrilege? Any other festivities or ideas that you think could really commemorate this special ride and make it distinct and apart from all other rides? Or do you think it will just be another RAGBRAI?

8 Replies

jwsknk, October 12, 2019 at 9:36 am

I think it will hit Des Moines for sure. Waterworks or state fairgrounds. I think that is where 1 camped. Fairgrounds has 1 large stage and several smaller ones. So entertainment? Check. Campground showers, restrooms and RV hookups? Yep. Food vendors? Bet a few of the ones there would open up. And the whole place can be a beer garden. And parking and controlled access for non riders wanting to come in for shows. The owner of the Candy Kitchen in Wilton is sure its coming there too.

SFC JKL 2, October 13, 2019 at 12:04 am

I think we can skip Des Moines on the guess the route list because everyone with a brain cell will have that one. I too think that it will come close to the original route. They will move it around with changes to roads that occurred the last 50 years, but follow the general path. The Register will throw out money for a big name band. The jersey will be a jersey. They are pretty much a standard thing. I don’t know what you mean by “unique”. I can see a couple big presentations like an official proclamation from the Governor and something for original riders.

genefruit, October 14, 2019 at 9:28 am

My guess is the same overnight towns as year 1 (Sioux City, Storm Lake, Fort Dodge, Ames, Des Moines, Williamsburg, and Davenport. Des Moines overnight at Water Works Park at the founders statue. Off day in Des Moines to see the sights and to make it a seven day event rather than the original six days. Big name act in Des Moines night 1.

jelly0317, October 14, 2019 at 10:06 am

100+ mile Friday and 80+ mile Saturday? Not likely.

genefruit, October 15, 2019 at 7:35 am

True. Greater chance of one night in DSM, Grinnell, Iowa City (with meetup in
Williamsburg), and Davenport.

Amanda, October 15, 2019 at 9:21 am

I don’t have an idea for the jersey, but the shorts would have to look like cut off jeans! If you look at the photos from the first ride, most of the riders wore regular shorts.

I think, too, that the route will be similiar to the first route. But since it was six days, an extra over night will be thrown in.

I sure it will be funtastic!

T. Gap Woo, October 15, 2019 at 11:29 am

Try this route on for size: since this is Ragbrai L, how about an L-shaped route? Start in the north in Rock Valley and ride south along the Big Sioux and Missouri Rivers to Hamburg. Then turn east along the Iowa/Missouri border to Fort Madison. A perfect L shape!

Of course, this route would probably take two weeks and DMR wouldn’t go for it. I can dream, can’t I? Unless TJ is willing to make a dream come true! How about it, TJ?

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

klkoopman, October 15, 2019 at 1:12 pm

I want an overnight in Des Moines on no other than the grounds of the state capitol building. I like Amanda’s cut off jeans idea, there should be a cut-offs, t-shirt and no helmet day in honor of 1973.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015