RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

RAGBRAI, please keep one thing and change another…

Please keep Day 7 a short day (it works out for the best for the riders)

…and please blow-up this god-awful website and start over (it’s a terrible hot mess; just trying to figure out how to post something in the Forum can take forever).

5 Replies

HillsAngels1, August 17, 2021 at 9:07 am

I agree keep day 7 short

Get rid of the 2 tractors and cable in the middle of the street that divides the town into 2 and ties up traffic

klkoopman, August 17, 2021 at 4:32 pm

Could someone post a video on how to correctly mount a bike on a cable strung between 2 tractors? I’ve done five RAGBRAI’s and still HAVE NO IDEA how to park my bike without toppling over 12 adjacent bikes. Then, my wife yells at me and it all goes downhill from there.

While we are at it, who was the idiot who outlawed kickstands?

Niles, August 17, 2021 at 5:37 pm

You should have two great teachers to tell you how to park on a cable. Hint: they are above your nose, unless certain situations.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am

Nobody “outlawed” kickstands, just as nobody “outlawed” fenders or lights or panniers.  It’s just a holdover from the days of the ‘weight wienies’, who tried to shed ever possible gram from their bikes in the name of speed and efficiency (never mind the fact that the weight saved by removing all the kickstands, fenders, and what-have-you in the world was easily offset by the excess avoirdupois they were carrying around on their own two legs) .

This is why rookies on RAGBRAI rarely ride with lights, fenders, or anything else that could make their ride more enjoyable, and why those of us who DO have a few RAGBRAIs under our belts know that having fenders on a wet day, lights after dark, or a saddlebag/handlebar bag with some basic repair parts like a spare tube and some basic tools are worth their weight in platinum.

-“BB”-

SFC JKL 2, August 21, 2021 at 10:48 pm

The problem I have with the tractors and cable is that they are usually too short (I ride a 58). The best way is hang your brake levers over the cable. You can hang it with the front of the seat, but it’s less stable and the front wheel can tilt, moving things around.
The main reason for getting rid of kickstands is the chainstay tubes are too thin on modern bikes. They are easy to crush when you tighten the kickstad onto them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI