The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

RAGBRAI, we’ve made the difficult decision to postpone RAGBRAI XLVIII to 2021.

As we’ve watched the impact COVID-19 is having on the world, we’ve continued to plan and adjust our timelines, hold key conversations with our trusted partners, and determine the best course of action for all parties involved.
After deep consideration and collaboration with the eight overnight town executive committees, government agencies, the public health department, and official business partners of RAGBRAI, we’ve made the difficult decision to postpone RAGBRAI XLVIII to 2021.
The safety of our riders has always been the most important focus for our RAGBRAI team and we feel the decision to postpone to 2021 is the right one. We strongly feel that this is in everyone’s best interest.
RAGBRAI takes months of planning and preparation. Based on the extreme disruption COVID-19 has had and will have on the planning, we didn’t feel it was responsible to move forward and put the safety of our riders, crew, communities, or residents of Iowa at risk.
While we wish we were biking across Iowa this July, our resolve is to make 2021 even better and we look forward to lifting up these communities when it is safe.
The RAGBRAI XLVIII route will remain the same for 2021. The towns along the route have already put a substantial amount of work and resource into planning and will have the opportunity to showcase their communities in 2021. The full route with meeting and pass-through towns will be announced at a later date.
You can view our full statement which includes refund options and a detailed FAQ at
RAGBRAI is planning several ways to stay connected this year in lieu of the ride. More details about a weekend fall ride and more will be released this spring.
We understand how disappointing this news feels. Please know that we didn’t take this decision lightly. We have spent the last month and a half talking to our partners, reworking our timelines and while biking continues to be one of the safest things to do right now, we couldn’t take a risk that would endanger even one person come July.
We appreciate your unwavering support over the past 47 years and we will be in touch this spring with some exciting new opportunities!
your RAGBRAI team

23 Replies

Luv 2 Ski, April 20, 2020 at 10:24 am

I applaud the decision. It was the right thing to do.


Uncle Kraig, April 20, 2020 at 10:29 am

When the Iowa State Fair announces its cancellation, it will truly be like the summer that never happened in Iowa :( Now, lets all hope like heck a vaccine or effective treatment is unveiled before about this time next year or we will be taking bets on 2021 RAGBRAI being cancelled too. An all around sad situation for sure but unequivocally the right decision.


gas gas, April 20, 2020 at 10:46 am

Same route for 2021 . The Winter route announcement party sure will be different .


Mark Hotle, April 20, 2020 at 10:57 am

No surprise. I was mentally preparing for this. Probably the correct decision.


Don Raatz, April 20, 2020 at 11:00 am

It’s unfortunate to hear the official decision but it’s the right call to make. Glad to hear the route will carry over…I’m sure the overnight towns have a ton of planning already invested. So the training for next year begins; see you in 2021!


Paul H, April 20, 2020 at 11:10 am

Maybe at next year’s Route Announcement Party the actual route could be unveiled?


Mary, April 20, 2020 at 11:21 am

Thank you for keeping every one safe, the communities and the riders!!


CyclingCyclone, April 20, 2020 at 11:36 am

The right call. Unfortunate but the right one. Just bummed I have to wait to ride my 37th.
What if they were to hold RAGBRAI 48 July 18-24, then run RAGBRAI 49 the following week?
Logistics would be rough, but anything is possible.


DougHarris, April 20, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Agree it’s the right call…What about the Bacoon Ride in June? Is it safe to assume that one is over too?


bugs11, April 20, 2020 at 3:37 pm

480 days until RAGBRAI XLVIII.


mootsman, April 20, 2020 at 4:14 pm

[quote quote=1318343]Agree it’s the right call…What about the Bacoon Ride in June? Is it safe to assume that one is over too?[/quote]

The Bacoon is run by a different organization (IBC) and they will make their own call. A 1 day ride with far fewer riders is not as challenging to cancel or postpone. The same group runs the Pigtails ride which they postponed until August 8th. I’d guess the Bacoon faces a postponement but not an out right cancellation also. Just watch their FB page and website.


Jboz, April 20, 2020 at 6:55 pm

Statement fro IR
IOWA’S RIDE UPDATE (April 20, 2020)
Our priority to keep everyone safe. A bike ride is never that important. We also know that the start of Iowa’s Ride is still close to 3 months away, so it is still early to decide at this point. We will remain hopeful that the health risks will subside towards the end of summer. Again, our top priority is the safety of everyone involved in our inaugural event.

Smaller ride, smaller footprint, lower public risk and as such they can probably wait till closer to the event to make a decision. I’m not interested in extracting a pound of flesh, relitigating the past, pointing fingers or second guessing the decisions that led to the split. I don’t presume to know enough of the real story to judge. I am comfortable riding alongside with or doing business with people who I don’t always see eye to eye with on everything. The only thing i know for sure is I would very much like to ride across Iowa in July. I know others may still harbor lots of animosity, and I understand that, but speaking personally this ride might work for me. I’m keeping my options open.


Jose Medina, April 20, 2020 at 8:10 pm

Very difficult decision but the right one. We have to look at the safety of everyone. The Highway Patrol and all the emergency personel would also be exposed.The prediction right now is that the worst is still to come with second and third waves of this virus. There are people in China that have had the virus and are getting reinfected again. We hope to have a vaccine by next spring. This was going to be 30 years of Ragbrai for me , I am looking forward to next year. Stay safe.


Luv 2 Ski, April 20, 2020 at 11:29 pm

Less than a month ago it was said on this forum that fear-based overreaction will be gone by mid-May. Think again.

It is clear that canceling RAGBRAI 2020 was the only prudent thing to do. It would be great if the scientists come up with solutions for dealing with the virus by then. If they do then we can all plan bike rides with others and make it your own RAGBRAI. That would be great and I hope that comes sooner rather than later. My real hope is by next spring so we can have RAGBRAI 2021.

Stay healthy everyone.


wrj, April 21, 2020 at 7:03 am

So… 3 things
1. Thanks Ragbrai for making the correct call on 2020.
2. Ragbrai 2021 What do you think the odds are that it will be cancelled? I think 50/50.
3. When you can, spend some of your refunded Ragbrai fees with your LBS.
Ride safely!


Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020’ is closed to new topics and replies.






Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found


Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI