Join Us in July - Register Today!

RAID

Ride Across Iowa in a Day!  All in one day!!! 

http://www.rideacrossiowa.com/

7 Replies

dberry, February 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

thanks for sharing.  I think the only way i could do the full 300 miles is with a partner on the tandem.

the 150 i don’t think i would have a problem with at all… but…

jwsknk, February 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm

last year some guys, including a Skunk, did a 1 day ride http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20100620/NEWS03/6200347/Munson-1-day-bike-trek-across-Iowa-less-crazy-than-sounds

Tony, February 2, 2011 at 6:46 pm

The record is West to East 273 miles in 10 hours 37 minutes.

http://www.ultracycling.com/records/iowa.html

ts, February 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Bob Breedlove, Iowa native, used to ride the entire RAGBRAI route in one day:

“Bicycle Bill”, February 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm

ts said: Bob Breedlove, Iowa native, used to ride the entire RAGBRAI route in one day:

They should rename RAID after Doctor Bob.

-“BB”-

ts, February 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm

“Bicycle Bill” saidThey should rename RAID after Doctor Bob.

Couldn’t agree more.  I rode by the site of his accident on highway 12 in Colorado last year and the memorial cross seems to be gone.  He deserves better and RAID would be a perfect memorial.

parleer, February 4, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Hey, someone just sent me a link to this thread. Glad to hear news about this event is getting out!

Let me give you some background on this event.

My dad was good friends with Bob Breedlove. They were weight lifting partners for many years. I grew up hearing these stories about Bob and all his cycling accomplishments. I was  impressed, but being young I didn’t really understand just how far a particular distance was; I couldn’t relate to 100 or 1,000 miles. So my dad would tell me the story of how on the last day of RAGBRAI, Bob would wake up early and ride the entire course; riding in 1day what it took everyone else 7 days to accomplish! This was something I could understand and I thought it was amazing.
Well, now I’m grown (30) and about two years ago I discovered that I really enjoy cycling. I think it was on my first 50 mile ride that I started thinking again about those stories of Bob and mentioned to my buddy Chad that some day we should try and do what Bob did; ride across Iowa in one day. We both thought it was crazy because at the time we could barely make it those 50 miles. 
But one year later (last fall) we found ourselves riding the 100 mile Bob Breedlove memorial ride. We loved it! And at about mile 80 we started talking about the possibility of a one day ride across Iowa. Of course, Ann Peterson, Bob’s daughter, who works with Chad, thought it was a great idea and has been helping us put the pieces together. 
So there’s the rest of the story. Bob, my dad, Bob’s daughter Ann, and several other people (Dave Foster, Wes Chaplin, Chad Johnson, Kurt Hantelmann, and many more!) have been instrumental in getting this event off the ground.
This is RAID’s first year. It could be a little rough as we do our best to figure out how to make it run smoothly. (There’s quite a bit of planning needed for an 18.5 hour event!) But no matter what happens, it will definitely be a fun day of riding! Or as Bob always said, “… another great day in paradise.”
~ Ryan Parlee

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters