Register for day passes through June 1, 2022!

Rain Gear

I started riding again after 40 years and I’m a first time rider to RAGBRAI. While sitting here watching it rain this question came to mind. Does anyone have good advice on rain gear? How about having more than one pair of shoes?

Bob

21 Replies

Geoff Butland, April 28, 2017 at 7:56 am

I have a very lightweight rain jacket from (I *think*) O2 Rainwear. It’s as basic as it gets, packs small, weighs 4 oz or so, comes in one color – bright yellow. Rugged it ain’t, but we aren’t exactly bushwacking our way across Iowa now are we?

KenH, April 28, 2017 at 10:34 am

I have a (yellow of course) O2 rain jacket that I will wear or carry if rain seems likely. I got it after that experience in Tripoli that others have talked about here. I’d ridden that morning without rain gear and while I did not get cold enough to force me to stop, there, when I left Tripoli I had trouble steering through the shivering until I warmed up again from the exertion. And then I decided to SAG it with the team support vehicle at the meeting town. There were other factors but having started with the proper rain gear probably would have tipped me in favor of continuing on. It became quite pleasant not long after I gave up….

I don’t do anything about my glasses. Real rain drops on the lenses I can see through well enough to just ride on and then stop and wipe them dry when the rain stops. The thing that gets me every few miles is a foggy, misty day. Those can make it impossible to see through glasses very quickly. In that case I can always stow them in a pocket and ride without if I need to. You don’t have to see anywhere near 20/20 to see other cyclists and maintain a proper spacing, keep clear of their paths, etc.

bearpath, April 30, 2017 at 8:31 pm

You rarely need rain gear. It’s normally warm enough to pedal through. Arm warmers in early morning are a good call and easy in jersey pockets. I like my rain jacket with zip off sleeves. Can’t remember riding with sleeves. You’ll be wet regardless (outside in or inside out) but at least the vest keeps you warm if temp is sketchy. Especially late in day when you are finished riding, trying to find & set up tent in the rain etc.

bearpath, April 30, 2017 at 8:31 pm

You rarely need rain gear. It’s normally warm enough to pedal through. Arm warmers in early morning are a good call and easy in jersey pockets. I like my rain jacket with zip off sleeves. Can’t remember riding with sleeves. You’ll be wet regardless (outside in or inside out) but at least the vest keeps you warm if temp is sketchy. Especially late in day when you are finished riding, trying to find & set up tent in the rain etc.

Charlie S, April 30, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Amanda wrote:
“My biggest problem is I need to wear my sunglasses/glasses and can’t see very well in the rain. Anyone have a solution, other than contacts or laser surgery!?”

Orthokeratology. I was fitted for Ortho-K lenses nearly 20 years ago.

They’re double reverse curve, gas-permeable lenses worn overnight that gently reshape the cornea, They need pressure to work, so are worn at night, when you sleep. The big advantages are that your prescription doesn’t change over time and you need to wear them less and less the longer you use the system.

I can easily skip wearing my lenses for a week or two (as I will for RABRAI) and still have close to 20/20 vision. An excellent, low-risk and completely reversible solution (unlike laser surgery – just stop wearing Ortho-K lenses and in a few months, your eyes will revert back). The only drawback is that they can only correct for myopia and only up to about -4.0 diopters.

Always surprised that more folks don’t use them.

Ken Askew, May 1, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Sucks getting cold and wet even during RAGBRAI. Bring a light jacket, wear it on your back, in a pack or on your rack. With some kind of sleeves you can’t go wrong.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI