PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Random acts of kindness on RAGBRAI

Over the yars, we’ve seen many random acts of kindness on RAGBRAI. We stayed at the fairgrounds in Marshalltown. It was so hot, we decided to go to a movie after we showered and ate. We left our tents to air out in the shade – without the rain flies on. We even had a conversation while we were eating, debating if we needed to go back and put them on before we went to the movie. After looking at the sky, we decided it wasn’t going to rain. You all know how well that prediction worked out!

My brother, our support driver, left partway through the movie when we heard the rain pounding on the roof, to do what he could for our tents, which were surely soaked by then. He got back to the fairgrounds….and discovered that someone had put our rain flies on our tents for us! We later found out it was the group camping next to us. I don’t know their names or where they are from, but whoever you are, thank you again!!!!! They were driving a black Mercedes van (like a Dodge Sprinter-type van.)

In the end, the stuff in our tent was a little soggy, but weathered the storm well. It surely wouldn’t have if our nice neighbor’s had not put our rain fly on for us. My brother’s tent, however, broke a pole in that strong wind and punctured the rain fly, leaving them with a very flooded tent.

What random acts of kindness did you see on RAGBRAI?

32 Replies

Denise Fuller, February 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Marshalltown, 2012 the rainstorm blowwed my tent so hard it splinted the poles and ripped the rain fly so much water I would have drown if I slept in it. Thank God this church family was watching tv saw the storm and told us if you need a dry place to stay just come on over any time. 10:30 at night I was knocking on the door with my dad and brother. They gave us blankets and pillows and we slept like baby’s.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014