RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Ready for 2018

I submitted my paperwork for vacation during the last full week of July today. I have no idea what state I’ll be living in at that time, but you know where you can find me.

27 Replies

Ken Reed, November 6, 2017 at 8:30 am

Hey, only 257 days until RAGBRAI. :)

swiifg, November 8, 2017 at 3:29 pm

I’ve been thinking of getting an indoor trainer to prepare for 2018 – and help keep that winter pudge at bay. But…I would be glad for suggestions. I would like to be able to easily remove my bike anytime I find a warm winter/spring day that calls me to ride outside. It looks like there are many different price ranges and, I assume, quality levels.

KenH, November 8, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Rollers have a steeper learning curve but that is what I use. You can put your bike on and pull it off in an instant. Riding on rollers is a little like riding on ice which makes it harder to learn. Once you learn however they will teach you to ride very straight and to minimize your body movements. Both contribute to a safer and more efficient ride across Iowa.

swiifg, November 8, 2017 at 4:19 pm

How important is it to use my road/RAGBRAI bike (in my case, a hybrid) on the trainer? I have an older bike I could use on the trainer and leave my preferred bike available. For conditioning purposes, it seems to me it may not be a big issue. Am I correct?

Amanda, November 8, 2017 at 7:16 pm

[quote quote=1278492]How important is it to use my road/RAGBRAI bike (in my case, a hybrid) on the trainer? I have an older bike I could use on the trainer and leave my preferred bike available. For conditioning purposes, it seems to me it may not be a big issue. Am I correct?[/quote]
Yes, you are correct. When good riding weather happens, you can ride your RAGBRAI bike and get more training miles. That way you will be conditioned for July!

T. Gap Woo, December 29, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I bring my Trek 7300 inside as soon as weather conditions turn sour for the season and set it up on my Cycleops trainer. I ride indoors all winter, just to keep my sit-bones in shape.

To keep my blood “boiling” and burn off anything bad in my arteries, I set up the bike in front of the TV and watch the news. For extra cardiovascular exercise, I shovel the %}%#[^+% snow off the driveway!

It’s only three more months until spring and seven short months until Ragbrai 46. Hurry up, winter, and begone with you.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Cory Rood, December 30, 2017 at 9:21 am

Why not just keep riding outside?

John Richardson, December 30, 2017 at 9:45 am

Ice

T. Gap Woo, December 30, 2017 at 10:20 am

[quote quote=1279982]Why not just keep riding outside?[/quote]

Cory,

If you are fortunate enough to live in a mild climate year-round, outdoor training with hills is the way to go. For us hardy souls who face winter’s wrath, indoor training is the better alternative.

Personally, I’d rather ride in the safety and comfort of my training room rather than face the ice, snow, freezing temperatures, hazardous road conditions, crazy drivers, etc etc — you get the picture.

But this is America. Whatever floats your boat (or spins your wheels). To each his own! Or as the Sage of Rabbit Hash would say, “BTW Ragbrai don’t care.”

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Thoreau, December 30, 2017 at 7:36 pm

I skipped last year (after six years in a row) and am excited about coming back in 2018. I’m hoping for a long course and for towns I haven’t seen before.

SFC JKL 2, December 30, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Registration complete and workouts start Jan 9. More snow on the way so I’ll just stay here under my blanket until then.

Cory Rood, December 31, 2017 at 5:51 pm

There is no such thing as inclimate weather. Just inclimate clothing. Studs solve the ice issue. No matter how hard you try, an indoor trainer does not replace real world riding.

Crazy drivers are not a winter issue.

T. Gap Woo, December 31, 2017 at 8:47 pm

[quote quote=1280003]There is no such thing as inclimate weather. Just inclimate clothing. Studs solve the ice issue. No matter how hard you try, an indoor trainer does not replace real world riding.

Crazy drivers are not a winter issue.[/quote]

Cory,

Inclement weather is just one issue, in my neck of the woods. Proper clothing and equipment can solve most of that issue.

However, roads narrowed by snowbanks, lack of riding lanes/shoulders, ever-present potholes, poor visibility/sightlines, and other hazards contribute to my decision to ride indoor during the winter months. Probably the biggest hazard to cyclists are motor vehicles of all types. Some drivers either don’t know how to drive in adverse weather conditions, are reckless/inconsiderate, or just plain ignorant (and you can’t fix “stupid”).

You may be dead right or dead wrong on this issue, Cory, but “dead” is “dead.” I’d rather be safe than sorry and live to ride again.

As the Sage of Rabbit Hash might say when it comes to safety, “Ragbrai DOES care!”

Have a SAFE and Happy New Year. See you on the I-O-Way in July.

“Bicycle Bill”, December 31, 2017 at 9:19 pm

quote swiifg — How important is it to use my road/RAGBRAI bike (in my case, a hybrid) on the trainer? I have an older bike I could use on the trainer and leave my preferred bike available. For conditioning purposes, it seems to me it may not be a big issue. Am I correct?
—————
quote Amanda — Yes, you are correct. When good riding weather happens, you can ride your RAGBRAI bike and get more training miles. That way you will be conditioned for July!

Hey Amanda — how’s the leg? Some of that indoor trainer riding might be in your future too.

-“BB”-

Cory Rood, January 1, 2018 at 8:28 am

I’m not saying that every day is suits la for riding outside. I’m just saying there are plenty of days in the winter where an outdoor ride is plenty safe. I wouldn’t write off every day between December and March. Some of the best riding of the year is at night In The middle of a snow storm on a local trail. I highly recommend you try it. FYI I live in NE IA, I’m familiar with the perils of winter riding.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters