Join Us in July - Register Today!

Ready for 2018

I submitted my paperwork for vacation during the last full week of July today. I have no idea what state I’ll be living in at that time, but you know where you can find me.

27 Replies

T. Gap Woo, January 1, 2018 at 9:11 am

[quote quote=1280010]Some of the best riding of the year is at night In The middle of a snow storm on a local trail. I highly recommend you try it.[/quote]

Cory,

Momma and Daddy Woo didn’t raise any fools! I respectfully decline your invitation to ride at night in the middle of a snowstorm.

What’s the name of your local newspaper? When I Google it, I hope I never see your name in an article associated with adverse bicycling incidents.

Following Daddy Woo’s advice, I shall no longer wrestle with you on this issue.

Ride right and stay safe!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

John Richardson, January 1, 2018 at 11:45 am

Well said T.Gap Woo. I dislike the trainer as much as anyone Cory and try to put in as many miles on the road as reasonably possible. I even managed to ride 850 miles last February but that’s only because it was very mild here. I’ve been out on my fat bike a few times but only on back country gravel roads and trails. It takes so long to gear up and undress afterwards in these sub 0 temps it’s so much more time efficient not to mention safer to just get on the trainer. If you ever think time is going too fast just get on your trainer and it will slow way down.

Joshua Gathright, January 1, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Is anybody coming to RAGBRAI from south California?

Michrider !!!, January 1, 2018 at 4:08 pm

I’m not quite ready for RAGBRAI but I’m ready for some warm-warmer weather! Winter sucks here in KY!!!

BTW RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

SFC JKL 2, January 1, 2018 at 10:56 pm

To me, riding in the winter is like riding Ragbrai on a single speed. I could do it, but why would I want to? I don’t need a participation ribbon for suffering. Been there, done that. Time for some cross training.

jwsknk, January 2, 2018 at 8:11 am

-17 degrees this morning. Still plenty of hard packed snow on the streets. The “shared use paths” were clear. Except the one too close to a street, almost like riding on gravel because of what had been plowed up from the street. Other that that great ride, well maybe not great, okay, if I could have seen through fogged over glasses. and could breath. Well I made it the 2.5 miles anyway, just a little slower so the wind chill didn’t get pushed down quite as much. The forecast was -25-45 degree wind chill. Only 3997.5 more miles to go this year.

John Richardson, January 5, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Wow! That had to be quite a ride jwsknk. I doubt that there are very many cyclist that have rode in -17 weather. I certainly have not. I use to live in Alaska and spent a lot of time outside when it was sub zero but never tried to cycle in those conditions. You have my admiration!

John Arnold, January 5, 2018 at 7:37 pm

If you can find a place close by, there is nothing better than a spinning class for winter training, IMO.

John Richardson, January 7, 2018 at 9:04 am

I’ve heard spin classes are great training but unfortunately I live in the sticks with no close access. Since I’m also a runner I’ve found that running is much less dicey than cycling in the winter and keeps me from becoming a complete slob.

jeffreydennis, January 7, 2018 at 8:16 pm

After a one year break coming back.

John Richardson, January 8, 2018 at 9:16 am

Wow! A year off. Welcome back!

Don Raatz, January 24, 2018 at 11:53 pm

I would agree with the spin classes…I’ve been taking one and it’s kicking my butt in a good way. Not only a good way to train but a good way to work on technique.

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters