Realistically, how much should my bag weigh as a solo rider?

I am currently at 35 pounds and I think I have about everything, however after carrying the bag around the house, I feel like I want to bring less. I will be too tired to lug 35 pounds if I can’t find a camping spot nearby the luggage trucks.

Maybe only 2 t-shirts, 2 shorts, and 1 towel. I can always buy more if hygiene becomes a problem. 1 C02 cartridge/tube is probably plenty. Are snacks really needed? Are there places to shave (with mirrors and running water?

Here’s my currently packed things.

On Bike:
Helmet
Soft Cap
Extra Tube
CO2 Cartridge/Inflator
Water Bottles
Cell Phone
Wallet

Camping:
Tent
Sleeping Bag
Sleeping Pad
Pillow
Chair
Towels x4
First Aid Kit
Hammer
Duct Tape
Insect Repellant

Clothing:
Bike Clothing x2
Bike Gloves
Sunglasses
Shirts x4
Shorts/Pants x4
Socks x7
Boxers x7
Raincoat x1

Electronics:
Battery Bank x2
Flashlight
Fan
Phone Charger
USB Charger

Hygiene:
Razer/Shaving Cream
Deodorant
Wet Wipes
Soap
Toothbrush/Toothpaste
Aloe
Contacts/Solution/Case
Beard Comb
Toilet Paper
Sunscreen
Lip Balm

Other:
Ragbrai Wristbands
Ear Plugs
Clothes Pins
Extra C02 Cartridges x2
Various Energy Bars

8 Replies

Ian Wilson, July 17, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Seems like you have got a pretty good list. Most years I weigh about 35 pound with a very similar list. I have the girlfriend in tow this year which requires a few more items and I am still only at 40 lbs.

jwsknk, July 18, 2019 at 7:56 am

I would increase the bike stuff to X3 and cut the other clothing in half. What about shoes? a pair of bike shoes and a pair of flip-flops? I would buy energy bars as needed. It can get really hot in the bags sitting out in a pile in the sun. They might get to be a gooey melted mess. You have clothes pins, include some line that can be used as extra tent tie downs if we get that usual windy night storm or for hanging out clothing. Other than that, just make sure to pack everything in zip locks or dry bags inside of the duffel bag. 2 layers of protection.

tdubya500, July 18, 2019 at 9:17 am

I usually only bring one towel and let it dry but your plan is probably smarter than mine, mine usually stinks by the end of the week…
One of those drawstring backpacks comes in really handy carrying shower stuff or food and drinks on your bike and they weigh nothing and take up no room

Jesse A, July 18, 2019 at 10:13 am

I’m riding solo and my bag is at 40lbs. I’m bringing more bike parts (the hard-to-replace stuff), a lot less clothes/fabrics and operating on a 2-3 day clothing wash rotation. No way I’m hauling a hammer. I’ll find a rock along the way.

Sam, July 18, 2019 at 11:34 am

Replace the 4 towels with 1 camping towel, otherwise looks good.

Sunflower, July 18, 2019 at 1:19 pm

“Replace the 4 towels with 1 camping towel, otherwise looks good.”

Yup. Big weight and space savings right there.

jpclark7, July 18, 2019 at 8:48 pm

My list is MUCH LONGER (and people complain I bring too much, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH) and my bag (filled) weighs only 45 pounds! Self-supported here (for some days). I will link to my list if you’d like to see 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015