Registration is now closed for RAGBRAI XLIX. Transfers are now open!

Receiving Materials?

Does anyone know when the RAGBRAI folks will be sending us our wristbands and other registration materials?

140 Replies

Tom Spahle, July 10, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Nothing received here either ~ but I believe in the system! It’s my vacation and I refuse to start it with negativity. Have faith friends, see you for pork chops and beers in a 12 days.

KenH, July 10, 2018 at 3:24 pm

I would go to your personal page on the RAGBRAI website and note your wristband numbers and vehicle pass numbers. Better yet take a cell phone picture showing each one. Then if you do not get your packet in time bring the numbers/photos to the RAGBRAI booth at the Onawa Expo and ask them to make everything right for you. My backup plan was/is to write our wristband numbers on our calves (where RAGBRAI virgins by tradition write “VIRGIN”) and print out a paper RV pass to tape to the windshield of our support vehicle. If I were relying on the register truck I would print out a luggage pass with my wristband number on it and laminate it with packing tape to kinda/sorta keep it safe all week.

If I were going with a charter I would contact them NOW and ask what to do if your credentials do not arrive. I would also ask them to intervene with the RAGBRAI team on your behalf, they will have a little more “clout” than any of us individuals.

Above all, I would remain calm and polite while interacting with the RAGBRAI staff, the luggage truck drivers, and my charter. I honestly believe that if you do not receive your credentials in time that RAGBRAI will make it happen for you somehow when you arrive in Onawa. They have to know that if they wait this late to get this stuff out that some will not get their materials in time, some will not get them at all, and some will get incomplete or incorrect packets. They’ve left themselves no time to correct these things so they will have to be willing to fix them when you show up at the ride. They just have to.

And they are good folks, I believe that they will.

Robert Uphoff, July 10, 2018 at 4:25 pm

That’s the spirit. I hope to ride, drink, eat and kibitz with you or people like you throughout the week.It’s my first RAGBRAI and I hope to meet 19,998 people just like me and you along the way! Cheers.

Kelly Puster, July 10, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I agree, KenH, I think it will all work out fine. I do feel bad for the folks trying to buy/sell. Splendid advice, you’ve given…I sent an email to my charter (they have my WB number already anyway) and printed my team’s information.

dalebob, July 10, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Here is the advice I am considering: Drink triple, see double, act single.

Peter Bowers, July 10, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I received an email from RAGBRAI today stating “If your daily wristbands do not arrive in time, go to the registration table at the High School in Onawa with registration confirmation and they will issue replacements. The merchandise trailers in each overnight town can do this too.” No shipping information yet, though.

hnschipper, July 10, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Will they be replacing vehicle passes as well?

JLVanPelt, July 10, 2018 at 8:46 pm

I’m not sure the rookies know this but there are discounts for wearing your wristband by the various vendors and if you have to SAG, your bike will need a band (or I guess you could show pics on your phone as Ken H suggested). Basically, I wouldn’t wait to get to an overnight town to get the bands: you’ll need them when riding so if you are starting Sunday you need spend time standing in line when you arrive in Onawa to get replacements. There wasn’t any mention of apparel? I would presume that will still be shipped. I feel bad for the virgins who were planning on wearing a RAGBRAI jersey on the RAGBRAI jersey day but won’t have them. Oh, and for those who asked…I’m on Day 7 of my packet’s tour de USA. It was last seen yesterday in Elk Grove IL. I hope for those that do get shipping confirmations your packet doesn’t take the scenic route like mine did. Leave it to my packet to be as directionally challenged as its owner.

Jeff Glass, July 11, 2018 at 1:21 am

RAGBRAI’s lack of communication is really stupefying.
How about sending a simple response to all participants?
I really hate to start wasting my time, attempting to call RAGBRAI officials.
How about just letting everyone know what is going on?

Jason Stoller, July 11, 2018 at 3:04 am

[quote quote=1291082]RAGBRAI’s lack of communication is really stupefying.
How about sending a simple response to all participants?
I really hate to start wasting my time, attempting to call RAGBRAI officials.
How about just letting everyone know what is going on?[/quote]
Jeff do not bother to waste your time. I already did and I haven’t received any response. Funny thing is I registered and paid my fees way back in Feb. Today I even sent a text and I got the only response I got was I am shipping wristbands right now and cannot talk. I’ll email you later this afternoon. Well that email never came. The two phone calls I have made ended up on Voicemail. I left messages that were supposed to be returned in 48 hours but that has not happened either.

Jason

Andrew Berman, July 11, 2018 at 6:05 am

Hi, All, I’m the OP, and I feel badly because I didn’t mean to stress anybody out! As I said in a previous post, I did finally receive my materials; I hope you do, too.

I saw this on RAGBRAI’s Facebook page:

“A quick update on RAGBRAI credential packets. As of today, about 99% of the RAGBRAI packages have been shipped. In the last few days, there were thousands of packets that were shipped.

Once your packets are shipped you will receive an email with a tracking number from our shipping software, Stamps.com, if you registered online. Large group packets (multiple entries and merchandise) are shipped via UPS will not receive an email. Check your spam filter to see if you already received this email.

Our final shipments are going out in the next day or two. They have been working weekends and on the 4th of July to make sure everything gets out.

If you did not receive your packets prior to RAGBRAI’s start or the packets that you received had an error, please come see our staff at beginning of the ride in Onawa at the RAGBRAI Expo on Saturday, July 21. You can also visit any of the RAGBRAI trailers at any subsequent time during the week of RAGBRAI if you are just riding a day or two later in the week.

A quick update on RAGBRAI credential packets. As of today, about 99% of the #RAGBRAI packages have been shipped. In the last few days, there were thousands of packets that were shipped.”

BugBoss, July 11, 2018 at 6:30 am

Got a notification this morning that my packet has been shipped. Yay!

Muscatine Mike, July 11, 2018 at 8:11 am

No packet here yet, and I have sold my ticket to another rider out of town so I still need to ship it to him. He’s nervous, I’m nervous.This is cutting it too close.

KenH, July 11, 2018 at 10:47 am

There are two threads devoted to this topic and I have lost track of what I have posted in which thread so some of the below is probably a repeat here but some is new:

Ok, I cannot share details because I don’t have them but I’ve heard from a reliable source that there are in fact some issues with the shipping department this year. At this point this is stating the obvious but at least we know it is not our imaginations!

What should you do? As a backup I suggest taking cell phone photos of the web pages that show your wristband numbers and vehicle pass numbers so that you will have this information with you during the week. If you paid for a vehicle pass print a copy of the vehicle pass number photo to tape inside your windshield where the vehicle pass would normally go. If you are using the Register truck print your wristband numbers on a “luggage tag” that you will have to design yourself. Laminate it with clear packing tape and devise a means to affix it to your duffel bag. If you are with a charter contact them, let them know your situation, and ask them if they have any suggestions on how you should proceed. If you are on a team your team contact is already sweating blood over this but you should probably check in with him/her too. Bring a magic marker to the ride in case you need to write your wristband number on your calf or wrist or …. I firmly believe that you will need to do none of this but under the circumstances it may pay to be prepared anyway.

From what we have heard so far this is the Register’s backup plan:

1) If you do not get your wristband/luggage pass ==> go to the RAGBRAI booth at Onawa or whatever town you start your ride in and they will take care of you.

2) If you do not get your vehicle pass ==> no official word yet but I suspect the answer is the same as 1) above

3) If you cannot attend the ride and have sold your credentials which you do not have ==> no official word yet but if the transfer credentials part of this web site is up and running I would go there and fill out the forms to transfer the credentials to the buyer. Take screen shots and email them to the buyer. Have the buyer fill out their portion of the form too.

I have asked my reliable source to encourage TJ to issue official statements on items 2) and 3) above as soon as he can.

Finally a word about “RAGBRAI don’t care”. This is a long running joke on the forum but it is not meant to be a call to arms. RAGBRAI is a big event that by its nature cannot be as precisely organized or controlled as well as Sunday School picnic can. This motto is really a suggestion to relax, chill out, and be patient because things are going to happen and no one means you any harm by them. Be patient, be kind, don’t worry about what others think about how you dress, what you ride, how you sing, or how you dance. Just enjoy the ride! The RAGBRAI staff actually do care quite a bit about you and they will take care of this and any other issues that arise. They LOVE their jobs and who can blame them!? They want this gig to continue — forever. And the only way they can make that happen is to do a good job for you. They will fix this, they will devise workarounds if necessary, and you better believe they will work hard to prevent it from happening again. You can trust them, they will do right by you.

KenH, July 11, 2018 at 10:58 am

BTW, the credentials transfer web page can be found here:

Credentials Transfer Link

At a glance it appears that the buyer can fill it out on their own if you supply them with the wristband and vehicle pass numbers. They need to sign a waiver and I don’t see a way to do that but I assume that instructions pop up after you hit the SUBMIT button. I would have your buyer do this if they have not done so already. Have them take cell phone photos to show to the RAGBRAI booth staff just in case.

Viewing 15 replies - 91 through 105 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI