Recumbent Bike Advice

Does anyone have recommendations for a recumbent bike (preferably inexpensive but easy to ride)? I ruptured my quadriceps tendon in mid-December. I’ve been riding a bike on a trainer for a while, so pedaling is fine, but the mechanics of putting weight on the bended knee to get started is beyond my current capabilities. I’ve been told recovery is 6-12 months, so I hope to soon be back on my regular bike.

4 Replies

William Mugan, May 16, 2017 at 8:16 am

dischaef,

I have quadricep tendonitis in one leg. I just wrap it real tight with an Ace Bandaid or something similar and I am good to go.

Give it a try, it might work for you.

Good luck and let us know your decision.

Craig Parson, May 16, 2017 at 12:20 pm

First off riding a recumbent is very similar to having weight on your bent knee especially uphill so you might want to push hard on a recumbent bike at your gym first to be sure. I like recumbents so I am not trying to talk you out of it but I want to make sure it will do what you want.

In general you want to look for long wheelbase bikes or short wheelbase bikes with a small front wheel. So the long wheelbase options would be an Easy Racer or long wheelbase Rans they have the shortest learning curve for most people but are more to transport. Short wheelbase options are Giro 20 Vison R40 and anything that says Burley are easy to ride and haul. Anything called a hi-racer is the steep learning curve and something that would take more time to get accustomed to. Go to the used market and ask advice on the recumbent forum. Bentrider is the place to go for advice and they have the only active classified market for recumbents, its a buyers market right now so you are in luck. Recumbent bikes don’t follow a well defined set of design parameters so the bikes vary drastically in weight, speed and best use. I would answer in more detail but I don’t want to clog this forum up with recumbent specific ramblilng.

Geoff Butland, June 4, 2017 at 4:07 am

I switched to a recumbent this year in a quest to reduce leg and neck pain during bike rides. I had tried lots of bike setup changes, different shoes, you name it. I picked up a long wheelbase (LWB) bike with under seat steering (USS) on Craigslist in February and haven’t looked back. I have about 1,000 miles on it now and even after a hilly 60 mile ride I have no pain. Zero. It has taken me about that long to become truly comfortable riding it – rebuilding decades of “this is how a bike works” instinct and training a different set of muscles takes time! And you have to be OK with a mellower pace – at least for me hills take much longer to climb since I gear way down to avoid levering against the seat for power and blowing out a knee.
I’m a believer, but YMMV.

Bruce Woodrow, June 4, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I am 65 and gave up on my upright bike a couple of years ago because of wrist pain. I test-rode 3 models of recumbent bikes and 1 recumbent trike. I was very comfortable with the trike. I began checking Kijiji (like Craigslist) and bought a used, discontinued Greenspeed GTO last August.

I now ride slower, especially uphill, but feel very good when I am doing it.

Planning to ride my first RAGBRAI this year. I have ridden over 500 miles this year (nearly 900 miles since I bought it in August).

Good luck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015