Reduced Rider Limit for CV Compatible RAGBRAI

Maybe RAGBRAI will consider cutting ridership to 2-3 thousand for the lottery and enforcement measures for ride pirates. Like having all host towns make sure the individual hosts require all riders from a team to have wristbands. I know ride pirates are a tradition in a way but if the word is out you get the boot this time, maybe few would show up.

16 Replies

jelly0317, April 15, 2020 at 8:53 am

Nothing demonstrates one’s contempt for speculation better than starting a new thread with the word “maybe”.

mootsman, April 15, 2020 at 9:05 am

Nothing demonstrates one’s contempt for speculation better than starting a new thread with the word “maybe”.

This is a forum not a personal email platform. My posts are mainly for the RAGBRAI leadership to encourage saving RAGBRAI 2020. Take your personal issues somewhere else.

KenH, April 15, 2020 at 9:29 am

The experience of the few churches that have ignored stay at home orders would say that a 2k or 3k limit would not protect the participants from the virus. You would need to have very well disbursed campgrounds with very few people in each one to get much protection. I don’t know if that is feasible. You would also have to take measures to prevent bunching at every pass through town and roadside vendor. Again it is questionable that this is feasible. You could assign everyone a start time and that would help but it would not guarantee that there would be no bunch ups.

coloradoshortbus, April 15, 2020 at 11:21 am

I agree with jelly0317, but if 3000 idiots are willing to risk their and other peoples’ health, then go for it.

skb-mpls, April 15, 2020 at 11:33 am

I guess it may depend on your own personal perspective and knowledge of the coronovirus epidemic.

Let’s just say that you are young with no pre-existing conditions and do not have any vulnerable adults that you will EVER come into contact with following RAGBRAI- you would say what is the big deal? Ride on RAGBRAI!

Let’s just say that you or your loved one’s that you share a home with are part of vulnerable group – you will want to minimize any risk to getting the virus. RAGBRAI should have been cancelled on 4/1/2020. It’s just too big a risk!

I have posted and shared my viewpoints regarding RAGBRAI 2020. I happen to fall into the second group.

Many folks are seeing the virus flattening out in NYC and may think that the pandemic may be nearly over with. The reality is far different! Just ask the folks in small town Sioux Falls with the exploding pandemic there. This pandemic will not be over where it will be safe to gather in large groups UNTIL a vaccine is available in 12-18 months.

For those of you think that this pandemic will only hit the densely populated cities in the US – think again. As Dr Michael Osterholm stated “this virus will hit every State, County, city and small town in the US”. No locale will be un-affected. In fact the small towns will get hit really hard as the nearest hospital with an ICU may be 75 miles away with 2 ICU beds.

Please take a look at these videos when you get a chance. It is an interview with Michael Osterholm from the U of M who is a world renowned global infectious disease expert, and Bill Gates who has become an expert in global health issues. Gates organization has financed 7 Pharma’s AND production plants to develop, test, get approved and immediately manufacture a vaccine. It is rather chilling as it looks like a return of the virus in September and those with pre-existing conditions will be at risk for another 12-18 months until a vaccine is available. It has answered a number of questions that I have had regarding re-opening our country, why testing has been so slow and the total death count estimate in the US.

After you view both of these interview – let me know what you think about whether RAGBRAI should proceed.

youtube/Rqt8NKNI7_Y – Dr. Osterholm Interview
youtube.com/watch?v=iyFT8qXcOrM – Bill Gates interview.

It is clear to me that amazing response of the American people by social distancing has flattened the curve to allow for ample hospital space for those affected. The virus can pop backup without testing and strict contact tracing (which we have neither) if the restrictions are lifted to quickly.

Another chilling fact is that if you happen to get seriously ill and end up on a respirator – the survival rate is 20%. Not good odds- which re-enforces my view.

For me… I use RAGBRAI as motivation to get in shape and improve my health. So far I have 1400 miles on my bike(s) since Jan 1 and am in the best shape of my life and was looking forward to my 9th RAGBRAI.

I’m bummed.

Sheldon in Mpls.

skb-mpls, April 15, 2020 at 11:56 am

Another reason to postpone until 2021 is there has been significant opposition to RAGBRAI in a number of communities in IA. A friend of mine is a retired LT in a County Sheriffs department. Whenever RAGBRAI comes through his county – the entire budget for the County Sheriffs department is blown for the entire year with overtime pay to help protect riders and residents. Two years ago – communities enacted county restrictions on food & beverage sales outside the city limits of the pass through towns. Many towns loose a great deal of money by hosting RAGBRAI. TJ’s departure brought more of these issues to light and DMR has pledged to address this concern by sharing the revenue.

Let’s not give Iowa communities another reason to oppose RAGBRAI by allowing the event and associated risks to the small towns and Iowans that we have all come to know and love.

We can all wait until it is safe for everyone.

LawnchairMan, April 15, 2020 at 12:28 pm

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

mcpartla put up this link on a different thread. It shows that vapor particles can follow in a cyclists slipstream for sixty feet. I can’t imagine even a hundred cyclists staying that far apart in just one day’s ride. Everyone would have to have their own position, no passing, everyone going the same speed. Doesn’t sound fun to me. I guess we find out today!

LawnchairMan, April 15, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Sorry, I thought the go / no-go announcement was today, the 15th. I see now it is coming on the 20th.

Kevin Even, April 15, 2020 at 1:29 pm

I wouldn’t say Sioux Falls SD is a small town, 250,000 in the Sioux Falls Metro area.

mootsman, April 15, 2020 at 1:59 pm

I doubt they would put on a smaller RAGBRAI if the risks are still high. Considering there is newer information saying certain things like grocery shopping are at a near zero risk of passing on the virus, an out door event might be next on the list of low risk events. But still things that crowd lots of people into 1 area like the nightly music concert may be a bad idea. Beer tent and bar occupation limits might be needed. So RAGBRAI with limits on some events associated with it and numbers of riders might be doable if a full RAGBRAI is not.

And asking RAGBRAI to “maybe” consider a reduced participation RAGBRAI is not speculative, its a suggestion for consideration by RAGBRAI. Calling people who might not agree with you idiots says something about you, not the people who don’t agree with you.

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

Luv 2 Ski, April 15, 2020 at 5:34 pm

IMO no need for reducing the participation for RAGBRAI. In the interest of everyone’s health, it should be canceled. The fact is that even if one person in a small group of 25 had the virus he or she would infect others in that group. Along the way that one person then infects others all across the state. So no difference between 2,000-3,000 than 20,000-30,000 other than the process would be bigger and faster with the bigger group. If I lived in a town of 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000 or 30,000 and was a member of that city’s planning board I would be voting No RAGBRAI. Why would I want that many people from all over the country and world descending on my town? A recipe for disaster.

It has been said many times in many threads on this forum, as well as the doctors working in disease control, that we will eventually be able to go back to a more normal life when prompt and adequate testing is available to everyone, when there is a test for antibodies, and when there is a vaccine. Until then life can not be as it was before. Highly unlikely to have that by July.

If RAGBRAI is still held and the above-mentioned testing is not in place I will not be riding RAGBRAI. I ride every year with my son and look forward to the week all year long. This year was to be the first for my other son and that would have made it even more special. It is unfortunate but I feel now is not the time to be selfish. It is time to think about others and if only one person comes with the virus the impact that one could have on the group, the communities all across the state and the other communities we all come from is just not worth the risk.

If RAGBRAI does cancel those that want to ride can join Iowa’s Ride. They probably need people to fill out their registration quota.

LawnchairMan, April 16, 2020 at 12:59 am

If Ragbrai cancels, then so should Iowa’s Ride. IR will probably be smaller than Ragbrai, but if just one death is due to cross state rides it’s too much. These are not essential activities! Let’s get our health assured with vaccines or proven meds, THEN worry about bike rides.

Jeff Boyer, April 16, 2020 at 7:04 am

It’s a “Bike Ride” folks! The world will not stop spinning if this “Bike Ride” is cancelled until 2021 or until a vaccine is available. Any possibility of putting our fellow riders and our small town Iowa hosts in danger of contracting this virus is the only reason needed to postpone this “Bike Ride”…Life will go on!

mootsman, April 16, 2020 at 7:24 am

RAGBRAI officials will let us know this Monday based on anticipated conditions in July. And many of us are not so fearful including many of us older people. If you are too scared to go, then don’t. A large outdoor event that avoids crowding everyone into a single space but has them spread out over many miles of the road is not the same as something like a concert where everyone is jammed in front of the band.

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

Iowa_Born Eastern_River, April 18, 2020 at 10:53 am

Let’s just say that you are young with no pre-existing conditions and do not have any vulnerable adults that you will EVER come into contact with following RAGBRAI- you would say what is the big deal? Ride on RAGBRAI!

I find this sort of exaggeration to be unhelpful fear-mongering. Yes, social distancing measures have been necessary (and successful), and these measures may extend into late July (up to and including the cancellation of RAGBRAI.

HOWEVER — even those individuals exposed to the virus can visit friends and family after a respectable isolation period (of 10-14 days, with an extra week or two if symptoms are developed). No one stays infectious forever.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015