Refunds of Registration Fees if RAGBRAI is Cancelled

I know it is unlikely but if RAGBRAI is cancelled because of Covid-19, does anyone know if they would refund all registration fees? I guess this question is probably more directed to the RAGBRAI staff really. I sent an unrelated question to their info@ragbrai email inbox recently and have not heard back so thought posting here might get an answer quicker than email. EDIT – I am holding off on registering for now myself just to see what unfolds both nationally and internationally in the next few weeks.

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Uncle Kraig.

29 Replies

mootsman, March 10, 2020 at 5:12 pm

Not sure but they already do refunds. I’d expect they would refund all fees as would charter groups. Before they make that call the initial fear if not the virus itself is likely to fade. 99% sure RAGBRAI will go ahead.

This reply was modified 4 months ago by mootsman.

Jose Medina, March 10, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Ragbrai will go on. I will give up any money for registration or Charter service . It is not their fault. I will do what ever it takes to keep Ragbrai going for my next generation. I do not expect or want a refund if Ragbrai does not happen. I will do trail rides during that time and be happy not to be at work. I may even visit some of the overnight towns.

KenH, March 11, 2020 at 9:19 am

Here’s a data based view of the pandemic.

The NEED to cancel RAGBRAI or any other event, really, appears to minimal. The PERCEIVED need to cancel is what really drives cancellations, however, and that is driven by mass hysteria, not the real risk. So it is much more difficult to predict what will happen than it is to predict what should happen.

RAGBRAI’s ability to refund will be determined by when the decision to cancel is made. They can do the generous thing and accept some financial loss if they so choose but they are already expending money and I would think that after a point they would have to offer a partial refund instead of a full refund. As a RAGBRAI customer I would be willing to accept that because it would be an investment in the future of RAGBRAI and I find that a worthy investment to make, whether for my sake or for the sake of those who follow after.

Larry Klaaren, March 11, 2020 at 9:31 am

The issue is not if the average person is going to get Corona Virus and die. It is whether people will have mild undetectable cases of the virus and then visit their parents or a nursing home or whatever and pass it on. One of the news stories right now is a nursing home in Washington that had nine residents pass away from the Covid virus. No one is sure how to deal with that.
The coincidental problem is that if people to a large meeting and the virus does get passed around, then some of that group of infected people pass it on to older and immunoincompetent people, the medical delivery system could quickly be overwhelmed. I am not sure closing schools and cancelling group events is warranted, but I do see the point.

Ken Reed, March 11, 2020 at 10:37 am

I have a feeling that this virus might be seasonal. It’s all about moisture droplets from my understanding. There is some evidence that moisture/water droplets do not spread as easily in warmer climates. So, this whole thing may be done by May.

Jose Medina, March 11, 2020 at 11:33 am

I think that by July,we need to come up with a Ragbrai safe greeting. Maybe just touching helmets or something along that line. I am sure someone or some team will come up with something creative.

Joe Chavis, March 12, 2020 at 10:29 am

Just raise your Corona OR Corona light….. and say “salute”

Joe Chavis, March 12, 2020 at 10:30 am

IF you only drink water (Ugh) pour it into a Corona bottle….. same salute….same salutation…..

KenH, March 12, 2020 at 12:52 pm

So many people are being reported to have the virus now in so many walks of life that it is not clear that closing events will help much. The time for that may have come and gone already but if it helps to dampen the hysteria then I suppose it is worthwhile. We do need to protect those who are vulnerable and that appears to be mostly the “elderly”. I am in the age group where the reported death rate starts to rise steeply but other factors besides age play into that and it is not clear to me how high my personal risk is. The thing that gives me pause is the fact that my eighty-something mother in law lives with us. She’d be safer in a home right now because around here they are all on lockdown but we can’t get her into a home right now — they are all on lockdown!

mootsman, March 12, 2020 at 1:16 pm

Just raise your Corona OR Corona light….. and say “salute”

Funny Joe 😁. Google did report that a popular recent search was for how coronavirus was caused by Corona beer. Should tell just how irrational the fear has become.

gas gas, March 12, 2020 at 3:57 pm

France forced to tell citizens that cocaine will not cure coronavirus amid social media rumors .

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/france-forced-to-tell-citizens-that-cocaine-will-not-cure-coronavirus-amid-social-media-rumours/ar-BB10Zqnx

Papa T, March 12, 2020 at 6:43 pm

no worries! We already know the route, and since it’s all on public roads there is no way to cancel it. No support by the Ragbrai organization would make it more difficult, but not prohibitively.

hnschipper, March 12, 2020 at 8:23 pm

Per RAGBRAI’s Facebook post, registration and refund deadlines have been extended to June 1.

KenH, March 13, 2020 at 8:03 am

They do not say this, perhaps because the Iowa authorities could force them to cancel at any time I suppose, but I presume that June 1 is roughly the date RAGBRAI has chosen for their go/no-go decision. Seems sensible to me. I think this will be on its way out by then and RAGBRAI will go forward as planned. If not, well, my new bike is pannier capable but am I????

Still expecting to see you all in July!

mootsman, March 13, 2020 at 11:10 am

Smart thinking on RAGBRAI’s part. The extension allows riders to adapt a wait-and-see approach before any feel compelled to pull the trigger on canceling too quickly. Before June 1st gets here the fear-vs-reality should be known.

This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by mootsman.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015