Refunds of Registration Fees if RAGBRAI is Cancelled

I know it is unlikely but if RAGBRAI is cancelled because of Covid-19, does anyone know if they would refund all registration fees? I guess this question is probably more directed to the RAGBRAI staff really. I sent an unrelated question to their info@ragbrai email inbox recently and have not heard back so thought posting here might get an answer quicker than email. EDIT – I am holding off on registering for now myself just to see what unfolds both nationally and internationally in the next few weeks.

This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Uncle Kraig.

29 Replies

Amanda, March 13, 2020 at 12:20 pm

no worries! We already know the route, and since it’s all on public roads there is no way to cancel it. No support by the Ragbrai organization would make it more difficult, but not prohibitively.

But we would starve!! And run out of toilet paper!

bugs11, March 13, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Kind of a long read, but this is the best I’ve seen that explains what has to happen to bring the pandemic under control.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Gypsy Rose, March 13, 2020 at 1:59 pm

no worries! We already know the route, and since it’s all on public roads there is no way to cancel it. No support by the Ragbrai organization would make it more difficult, but not prohibitively.

But we would starve!! And run out of toilet paper!

But we’d have plenty of corn (which serves a dual purpose – either as a supply of food or a substitute for TP).

Cheers,
~ Kevin

mcpartla, March 20, 2020 at 6:33 am

Given the current crisis and the fact that a potential cure is a minimum of 18 months away and the extreme measures most Governors and local authorities are taking to protect us it would be irresponsible to hold an event in July attended by thousands of people from all over the world. We participants who already registered should email “Information@ragbrai.com” to urge Ragbrai 2020 be cancelled immediately. I’m in Florida on vacation and just about everything is closing to prevent gatherings of people and we may find hotels closed too on our trip home. This is serious stuff folks. Time to bunker down for the duration. It’s the right thing to do for the good of all of us. I love Ragbrai and Iowa but it’s not worth risking our lives or further spreading the virus.

This reply was modified 7 months ago by mcpartla. Reason: Typo

mcpartla, March 20, 2020 at 6:42 am

It’s not just “us” taking the risk but everyone we come in contact with because we might not show symptoms but still be infected and spread the disease. How big is the risk? Listen to the real authorities … doctors and scientists … and avoid large gatherings of people in the coming days, weeks, months. Take the lead in this fight by staying home this year.

Larry Klaaren, March 20, 2020 at 9:12 am

The thing about a novel virus is that it builds up and builds up and then suddenly it is over. Completely over because everyone has either been ill or is now immune. Very few get sick for a few months. Then the virus goes into a state where it is part of the society’s collection of diseases like the flu or measles. Once in a while, or maybe a little more often, we see a local epidemic, but it would be rare to see a pandemic. So once they raise the quarantine, which is only to spread out the infection stage so medical services won’t be overwhelmed, the society is usually safe from that disease for a time.

This reply was modified 7 months ago by Larry Klaaren.

Uncle Kraig, March 20, 2020 at 12:47 pm

Wow, unbelievable how much has changed in a week since I originally posted this. Even the responses, over time, have gone from….not a chance of cancellation to hoping it is cancelled for the good of everyone. Sad really but I would bet a good chunk of my quickly dwindling live savings, RAGBRAI will go the way of every other activity right now and be cancelled in short order. 🙁 Bummer for sure.

mootsman, March 20, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Chill riders. The fear is outpacing the situation. There were 575,000 deaths world wide from the swine flu 2009 – 2010 and RAGBRAI was fine. We have 20,000+ deaths in the US alone from the flu this flu season. So stop panicking.

This will all be sorted out before the new cancellation deadline. The path forward will be obvious by then. And those that cancel out prematurely might just feel like they missed out on a great RAGBRAI instead. Imagine how much extra fun it will be on the other side of all the closings.

And the markets will recover. As long as you don’t cash out you will not lock in on a loss.

This reply was modified 7 months ago by mootsman.

This reply was modified 7 months ago by mootsman.

Jose Medina, March 20, 2020 at 9:19 pm

I agree with mootsman. Way too early to be thinking about cancellations. China and South Korea are already recovering. This virus does not like heat or humidity .This is still March. This is suppose to taper off and come back late in the year. I would be more concerned about all the football games in the fall and Super Bowl being cancelled.

hnschipper, March 20, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Panama is hot and humid this time of year. Panama is being hit by the Coronavirus. Heat and humidity do not seem to be helping there.

mootsman, March 20, 2020 at 11:01 pm

How the heat will effect this has yet to be determined. I saw an interview with an infectious disease doc who said lots of viruses with a crown like this one (those spikes sticking up) fade when the temps get to the upper 60s and 70s because those crowns melt and they can no longer be spread. But that temp would include low temps. That’s just another detail we have to adapt a wait and see approach on. Some warm countries have had low infection rates but maybe they also have low rates of testing. And their cases could be from foreign travel and not spread locally. So who knows.

In the mean time, my go – no-go decision is whatever RAGBRAI decides.

joelindsay, April 1, 2020 at 10:30 am

You’re all nuts! It will be canceled.

Chris Ashton, April 1, 2020 at 12:33 pm

Not sure on the refund policy, but best to assume your money won’t be refunded if RAGBRAI is cancelled. Bike riding is a luxury for us but if the foundation can’t afford to pay its staff, then no more RAGBRAI ever. Losing those fees might be the small price we have to pay to ensure years of fun.

My 2c
Chris

Sandaltan ., April 1, 2020 at 7:24 pm

I have no doubt that refunds will be issued. Very likely the RAGBRAI staff you saw on the stage at the route announcement party is either furloughed or has returned to whatever function they performed before they were pressed into service to support RAGBRAI. Prospects are not rosy at the Register.
If you search Gannett layoffs you may agree.

RIDE RIGHT Hopefully there will be another RAGBRAI

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015