Registration is now closed for RAGBRAI XLIX. Transfers are now open!

Renting a road bike in Iowa for the week of Ragbrai

A friend has asked me if some riders rent a road bike once they get to Iowa. He has a hybrid bicycle that he commutes and trains with in California but he wondered if there is s way he can rent a better road bike at the start of Ragbrai. I had not heard of this, but it might be possible, I imagine. Thanks.

4 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, February 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Renting a road bike for RAGBRAI is not all that good an idea. A road bike is going to put you in a different riding position than a hybrid or mountain bike. You’re going to feel ‘funny’ on it. It may not fit you well — and if you’re going to spend seven days and 450 miles or more on a bike, you definitely want it to fit! The brakes, the derailleur levers, even the water bottle placement are all likely to be different. You need to be comfortable on your bike and have had some time together with it.

As far as the original question — you can probably rent a road bike for RAGBRAI. Couldn’t tell you exactly where, but I’m sure there are some places that would do that. It probably won’t be all that cheap, and the amount of money would probably buy you a halfway decent used road bike early enough in the season that you would be able to make you and it are comfortable together and ready for whatever RAGBRAI will throw at you.

-“BB”-

jwsknk, February 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

someone asked about that last year too, probably a thread inder RAGBRAI XXXIX. Don’t know what the decided to do. there are a couple of places in Des Moines, someone from the Collective, https://www.facebook.com/groups/126818997352682/345587978809115/#!/groups/49144467667/ or on Bikeiowa, http://www.bikeiowa.com/ might be places to check to see if they know who to get ahold of.

Thoreau, February 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm

“Bicycle Bill” and jwsknk: Thanks for your help. Last year I didn’t hear about riders renting a bike when they arrived, but was not sure if there were some that used this method. I did know of folks who borrowed better road bikes from dealers and used them during part of the ride, but that is a complicated process.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI