Rethink Opportunity on RAGBRAI 48 Symbol for 2021?

With 2021 a ways off now there is a chance for a redo on the RAGBRAI 48 symbol. Please loose the Willie Nelson guitar themed symbol which has little to do with RAGBRAI’s history or any connection to Iowa. Think more like ones of the past that show either an Iowa (like Iowa farm related) or RAGBRAI (like 2009’s water-tower and corn) connection.

Also either get Primal to improve their quality or get a new clothing vendor. That cheap zig-zag stitching the shorts have to attach the chamois that rips the spandex so easily is one example. My 2014 jersey has different diameters on the sleeve also. The right sleeve is tight around the elastic and the left is loose like it should be with my thinner arms. (and yes, my arms are the same diameter)

11 Replies

Jboz, August 7, 2020 at 4:33 pm

Like routes, jerseys and logos fall into the category of “you can’t please everyone”. Each year there are people who love and hate the look. I personally didn’t care much for the “Willie” logo, but I’ve disliked some jerseys in the past (2014’s corn mosaic for example) and bought them anyway. On it’s own merit, it’s not a terrible logo and would make a decent looking jersey…but to the Mootsman’s point, it doesn’t really seem to reflect Iowa. To me, it always kind of screamed Nashville.

I would like to add that 2020 has been painful for everyone on so many levels, not just losing RAGBRAI. A truly sucky year and that logo will always be a bit of a reminder of that. The RAGBRAI that wasn’t. The year that stood still.

Fresh year, fresh logo might be just what the doctor ordered. Because after a 24 month hiatus, assuming 2021 happens, I think the ride will take on a much greater celebratory vibe. Of course it will come down to how much inventory (especially the jerseys) had already been purchased. If the DMR has a warehouse full of Willie jerseys, there is no way they are going to eat that cost.

Sandaltan ., August 7, 2020 at 9:30 pm

I have read that if the year 2020 were a beverage that the beverage would be a colonoscopy prep.
Lemon or lime flavor…just drink up.
I agree with Jboz, we need a new jersey. We know the route, the overnights and the meeting towns so give us something to look forward to … like a pure Iowa themed jersey with maybe an e-bike discretely portrayed in the pattern. Meanwhile, I will measure some armholes.

RIDE RIGHT

mootsman, August 8, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Sandaltan,

Didn’t need to measure my armholes (end of the sleeves actually). One was too tight, one was baggy and loose. All my other jersey (including RAGBRAI jerseys) sleeves are like the loose sleeve. And both of my arms are thin. The only RAGBRAI shorts I bought ripped at the upper end of the zig-zag stitching when I pulled them over my thighs. Primal needs to up their quality or RAGBRAI should get a new vendor.

Jboz, August 8, 2020 at 5:59 pm

My 2014 jersey also has super tight sleeve elastic too, uncomfortably so…but both sleeves, not just one. To be honest, I didn’t notice until recently because I bought the jersey at the end of the 2014 ride and took it home. It stayed in the bag for several years simply because I found the design very unappealing and had much nicer looking jerseys to wear. Broke it out of the bag a couple of years ago and the sleeves was the first thing I noticed. I’ve actually considered taking it to a seamstress to have the elastic removed and new looser bands put in. But I just don’t like the jersey enough to bother, so I wear it on rare occasions, like when it’s the only clean one available.

Jill Ellenbecker, August 16, 2020 at 5:01 pm

I liked this year’s logo because of the braid. I have very long hair that I often wear in a braid just like that when riding. I don’t play guitar, but I can assume that there are guitarists out there who feel similarly included.

KenH, August 19, 2020 at 9:06 am

Well, I already have my 2020/2021 jersey so I can tell you that the Register does have them in stock, probably enough in stock for the full expected ridership, and that diminishes the chances that they will redo them. If you really hate them and express your opinion then I suppose there is always the chance that they will replace them. I think it is unlikely.

I like the jersey well enough. Cycling jerseys are a very personal thing and some years appeal to me more than others. This one is above average in my opinion. I rode the virtual RAGBRAI or at least enough of it to qualify for the 2020 gravel and Karras loop patches. I have a 2020 RAGBRAI patch too, not sure if it is a special patch for the virtual ride or the would have been official 2020 patch, actually haven’t paid that much attention to it. And I have the jersey. So I am good, whatever they decide to do about these items for 2021. I just don’t think there is anything wrong with the jersey!

Mark Walker, August 20, 2020 at 1:22 pm

Maybe the logo and slogan are apropos as in 2021 we will all be “on the road again”.

Dizzy, August 22, 2020 at 8:35 am

Greetings!
My gut reaction when the 2020 jersey first came out was, “Eh”.
Maybe I too was swayed by the Willie Nelson vibe.

Now, I think I agree with Mark.
When we ride RAGBRAI XLVIII, that “On The Road Again” theme, and the jersey, will be so appropriate and could become one of the iconic RAGBRAI jerseys.

All the best, D

patrsnw, August 26, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Don’t like it, don’t buy it. Looking back, RAGBRAI-logo apparel were pretty much crap until 1998, or so, when they hired Cycle Design – and then everybody started to buy. Business dropped off, of course, once someone in the RAGBRAI or Register organization got their offspring to do the work instead.

Suck it up, Buttercup, and vote with your wallet.

mootsman, September 7, 2020 at 10:54 am

Maybe the logo and slogan are apropos as in 2021 we will all be “on the road again”.

The “On the Road Again” phrase does make a lot of sense for 2021, you’re right. Just loose the Willie symbol. Come up with something more Iowa related.

Actually my original post did not suggest dumping the phrase, just Willie.

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by mootsman.

mootsman, September 7, 2020 at 11:15 am

Also listening to the music from the RAGBRAI mobile boom boxes while riding RAGBRAI, there are far more Rock fans on RAGBRAI then County fans. And within the Country music genera Willie’s music is a particular niche. You’d sell more jerseys with an AC/DC reference and a “Highway to Hell” theme.

Not that I’m suggesting this though. Still need an Iowa reference.

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by mootsman.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015