Rethink Opportunity on RAGBRAI 48 Symbol for 2021?

With 2021 a ways off now there is a chance for a redo on the RAGBRAI 48 symbol. Please loose the Willie Nelson guitar themed symbol which has little to do with RAGBRAI’s history or any connection to Iowa. Think more like ones of the past that show either an Iowa (like Iowa farm related) or RAGBRAI (like 2009’s water-tower and corn) connection.

Also either get Primal to improve their quality or get a new clothing vendor. That cheap zig-zag stitching the shorts have to attach the chamois that rips the spandex so easily is one example. My 2014 jersey has different diameters on the sleeve also. The right sleeve is tight around the elastic and the left is loose like it should be with my thinner arms. (and yes, my arms are the same diameter)

22 Replies

LawnchairMan, January 3, 2021 at 11:34 am

Did I miss a connection to Willie Nelson? The graphic shows a rider with a guitar and a long ponytail. Couldn’t the rider be a girl? There seems to be a heart decal on the instrument that most guys wouldn’t have. If it weren’t for the long long hair I’d suggest it was John Denver. I think he’d have been more likely to ride a bike on “Country Roads”.

This graphic wouldn’t be too bad if they dropped the guitar and music symbol. The riders and rolling hills in the background would be very appropriate. But in my humble opinion, I’d prefer a totally different design.

KenH, January 4, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Well, while the rider with the ponytail and guitar does look a little Nelson-esque it could be anyone, any gender. So, by itself the logo graphic’s tie in to Willie is a little loose. However, the 2020 jersey and the the 2020 cycling cap both have the tagline “on the road again” on the back and in the minds of a great many that just screams Willie Nelson!

Back of 2020 cycling cap

LawnchairMan, January 4, 2021 at 6:46 pm

Thank you Ken,
Yes, that is a tie-in that I didn’t catch. It makes more sense now.

KenH, January 5, 2021 at 12:03 pm

The on the road again theme was produced in 2019 when TJ was still one of us and any mention of Covid would have been met with the question “what’s a Covid??” Given what quickly unfolded after the logo came out, whether you like the design or not “on the road again” is the perfect theme for the next RAGBARI which we all hope will take place this year.

Jboz, January 5, 2021 at 8:27 pm

It’s growing on me. Beats the green & orange corn logo of 2014.

mootsman, January 6, 2021 at 8:52 am

A particular music artist seems to make it way too promotional too me. But since then our emails have been spammed by RAGBRAI to promote merchandise anyway. Just the final steps to commercialize RAGBRAI.

Joe Chavis, January 6, 2021 at 11:56 am

Well, this is by no means my original creation. However, whatever the logo is… PLEASE write the date on said logo as…….. since this would have been my 25th consecutive ride….and this is to cover both rides to keep my string…. OK ok… drum roll please…….2020one

Amen.

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI