The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Richmond, VA teams?

I am a new rider and plan to drive from Richmond, VA to the end point and hitch some sort of ride to the start, either with a charter or a team.
Anyone else in my general area planning the same? Are there any RVA teams in the works?

7 Replies

dozierpb1, December 4, 2018 at 8:18 am

Top of the Morning Jennifer. My wife and I are leaving from Manassas VA, but are not interested in driving. However, we do train on the Richmond Capital Trail. If you were to take our bags and bikes, we would pay you….. which would subsidize your adventure.

Jennifer Durose, December 4, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Good afternoon! That is a fantastic proposition! I can definitely carry two additional bikes and would welcome the funding!
I was thinking of driving to the end point, arriving Saturday so, we would need to arrange transport to the start point. Let me know if that works for you guys.
I would also be open to some training rides on the Cap Trail. I currently ride at a C pace, but always progressing ๐Ÿ™‚

dozierpb1, December 4, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Jennifer-I’m glad you liked the idea of hustling gear to make money. For me the logistics are part of the adventure. Even if you drive the bikes to the end point they would have to be boxed to make it on the bus. No worries…..plenty time. I used to know what the C pace was; I’m more concerned about keeping my Cadence around 80. Its my opinion…..that you should not be concerned about speed or power for this ride. I would set the stage for a couple multi day rides in your training plan. (I’m not a trainer) We ride so much we don’t have a training plan. Ha Ha.. This area has more trails than you can do over the summer. The Capital Trail can be your go to because its about the same length a day ride on the RAGBRAI. Good Luck with your training. I will post which charity rides we sign up for in the spring.

Chris King, December 11, 2018 at 11:30 am

Jennifer Durose Not sure what route you are taking but I am heading that way from Raleigh NC.

I was thinking of renting a truck or SUV to make the trip in. I’m planning on stopping at the end town as well and either meeting up with a charter or a team from Illinois to go to the start point.

Then I plan on doing the same on the way back, rent a truck or SUV at the end town for the trip home.

Let me know if interested.

Jennifer Durose, December 18, 2018 at 10:37 am

Hey, kicks!

A driving partner is very appealing! I would definitely be up for sharing fuel expenses.

Is this your first Ragbrai too?

Are you down for a stop in Manassas to help those guys out with bag and bike transport and further fund our travels?

Let me know!! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

dozierpb1, December 18, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Please don’t consider driving to Manassas. Thats hours out of the way… I may find someone closer to Manassas, VA that is driving. I shipped them before and it was fine. I enjoy the logistics of the RAGBRAI; I plan our touring adventures and this ride has a lot to pick from. Registration for the Six Pillar Blackwater Century MD just opened up (Great Ride) . I’ll keep you posted on our training rides when it warms up….Got the trainers next to the TV right now:)

Chris King, January 2, 2019 at 9:32 am

Hello Jennifer,

I’m still up for ride share, but need to figure out the logistics of course and can’t do that till later this month when they announce the start and end towns. Would you be driving to Raleigh area to meet me or would I need to pick you up in Richmond area?

No it is not my first RAGBRAI, it will be my 5th but it is my first traveling from NC. I used to live in Illinois and it was much easier to get to from RAGBRAI.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Kicks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013