Ride Maps

For anyone that wants turn by turn Navigation with offline maps for this years route, I have created a RideWithGPS event. This will help scope out those pesky hills.
https://ridewithgps.com/events/RAGBRAI-XLIV-2016#routes/12578577/

One of the coolest features on RidewithGPS is the live logging. Users can see other members of their group on a map to see where they might be along the route. This map should be updated for the June GEOBIKE preride and overnight towns update their maps.

We all know that Ragbrai is not a race so the segments feature will only measure speed/time while you are moving so that you aren’t penalized for stopping to eat the pie.

7 Replies

Brian Wallenburg, April 2, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Nice work.

TJ Juskiewicz, April 5, 2016 at 10:32 am

Hey Alex, thanks for the enthusiasm.. just letting you know that a few of your roads are off… we will post as we get closer. Ride with GPS is a great tool, thanks

trknight, April 5, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Alex, for those of us who would be new to this, can you explain a little more how this works? What is needed… devices, apps, downloads, club/group formation, etc, etc?

powellpd, April 14, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Alex- I have checked the % grades of each day and I have found that they are really not more than 6% grade in most cases. Is that correct? They keep says that the ares is very hilly. In your estimation, what is the highest % grade during this year’s route? Also, on the second day, it is the highest elevation to be climbed. How does the elevation impact the % grade of the hills and how it feels to the biker? Thanks for providing any information that will help me understand the type of climbing experience I will encounter on my ride. Pam

KenH, April 15, 2016 at 11:00 am

Using the barometric grade calculators on my original Polar and now Garmin bike computers I have never seen a RAGBRAI that did not have many stretches of at least 8%. In my case “never” means not in the last four years! I’d be surprised if we did not seem some peaks of 10 or 12%. But they are short, they will not pose an insurmountable difficulty for most people. You might be chugging along at 6 mph for a while but you will get up them, or you can walk. In one of my four RAGBRAIs there was a “named” hill that was a challenge to most of us. You will have to follow the RAGBRAI pre-ride blog when it comes out (in May?, I’m not sure) to see if there are any named hills on this route. There are bound to be a few hills each year that you could do without whether they have a name or not.

But the real challenge of the RAGBRAI hills is that there are so many of them. They do not kill you with one massive sword thrust, they are death by a thousand cuts! Some days are just hill after hill after hill spaced just far enough apart that you can’t roll down one and up the next. But you will get through it. Train for them as best you can but don’t worry so much about them. You defeat them one at a time and before you know it you are rolling downhill at high speed towards the Mississippi River! Once you’ve dipped your front tire you will realize there is nothing in the world that you want to do more at that moment than to hop back on and ride them all again!!

jwsknk, April 15, 2016 at 11:06 am

this years is up here.
http://www.geobike.com/geobike/gbmain.shtml

justvaness, April 19, 2016 at 11:43 am

Thank you, Alex!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI