Registration deadline extended to April 15 for weeklong rider, weeklong non-rider, and vehicles passes!

Ride Suggestions if RAGBRAI cancelled

I’m assuming most things will be cancelled this year…bummer. However, just in case, does anyone have suggestions for some awesome rides? Could be a one day century, weekend ride or week long. I really need something to train for…it helps with keeping the weight off.

22 Replies

Rick, April 17, 2020 at 5:23 am

Since I cannot make RAGBRAI this year anyhow, I did sign up for the Erie Canal ride (one week earlier in July, about 400 miles, limited to about 600 riders). They haven’t announced if they’re going to cancel: I bet they will ‘follow suit’ when RAGBRAI makes their decision April 20…. knock wood!!

Scott Matter, April 17, 2020 at 8:38 am

I’ve mapped out a route that I hope to do this summer if RAGBRAI is cancelled. Highlights: overnights in Okaboji, Clear Lake, Deborah and Lansing. 60+ miles along the Great River Road from Allamakee Count to Guttenberg.

Eric Strobel, April 17, 2020 at 9:09 am

Scott, what state is this ride in? Maybe I need to map out my own.

Joe Chavis, April 17, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Hey. I live in NC. Have ridden every CNC except the first one and 23 consecutive RAGBRAI’s.Yep, sometimes it rains in NC, course sometimes it rains in Iowa. Maybe not 4 days in a row? Sometimes, at least 4, it tornadoes in Iowa, sometimes it’s hot in Iowa. Do not come to a mountain ride and expect 80degrees, bring a jacket. Do Not ride any of these ‘cross state’ touring rides on an expensive bicycle. It’s a ride, not a race. I have several bikes, no money, but I ride in the rain, in the mountains, in the cold, in the hot.

CNC is not RAGBRAI. It is it’s own ride. Don’t expect the same RAGBRAI feeling. Come out East and experience it. IF it rains for 4days, If it rains for 1 day, If it’s too cold for ya, If you ‘scart’ to descend a mountain, or if you jest plain ole tired. Find me, and I’ll see that you have a day of rest riding in our van.

ThomasNye, April 18, 2020 at 7:31 am

I’ve spent my entire life living in either Iowa, California or Florida, but I have never missed a year flying in for the CNC ride (and RAGBRAI, of course). CNC was an extraordinary experience when Amanda coordinated the day-by-day logistics at the turn of the century. Albeit lacking in the exceptional personality and hospitality of my wonderful Iowa, it is still one of my favorite rides for the incredible variety in scenery in North Carolina, especially in the mountains.

Kevin Patton, April 18, 2020 at 8:00 pm

I’m considering CNC if RAGBRAI is cancelled this year. I am excited that the route is going through Mt. Airy.

Eric Strobel, April 21, 2020 at 10:47 pm

I’m loving all these suggestions. Maybe a small group of us(10 -20ppl) could do a ride somewhere? Self supported?? Or if someone had a person that could sag and transport tents, baggage, etc. I don’t know just trying to think outside the box. Thoughts?

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI