Ride The Erie Canal Question

I’m thinking about doing the Erie Canal ride this year since its before RAGBRAI. It looks like a fun ride and since I would rather ride with other riders, I plan on flying up from Houston area with my wife, renting hotel rooms along the route, and provide for my own support. I only want to be with other riders and don’t plan on using their rest stops, accommodation’s, eating their meals, etc., do I have to pay the fee ($800). It looks like from the images on line that everyone that registers and pays gets a wrist band to denote they are part of the ride. I will bypass anything on the ride they offer such as rest stops, support, meals, etc. I just want a marked trail with other riders on it. Don’t want to be an outlaw or do anything unethical. Its just allot of money when I want be using their services. If you have done this ride before, I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

5 Replies

Cory Rood, February 6, 2018 at 1:13 pm

What pays to mark the path? SAG? Emergency support? Planning? Riding without paying for it on an organized ride is bad juju as far as i’m concerned.

OrtonvilleMI-Steve, February 6, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Hey Terry – google the ride and volunteer options for a free ride if you must.

FastEddy, February 7, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Just a thought… What if no one paid to do the ride?

GetAClue Blue, February 8, 2018 at 7:17 am

Thx for the response. I’ve done RAGBRAI 4 times and this forum has always came though with good answers to my questions.
I saw the volunteer options and will choose that method of payment if they still have some opportunities for such. If I cant volunteer, I’ll just bite the bullet and pay the fee so I can pass the “red face” test when I come in contact with other riders along the way.

GetAClue Blue, March 25, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Just a follow-up to this post. I did the “Ride The Erie” event in 2018. Registered and paid for the full support package. Great ride. I saw lots of RAGBRAI jerseys on the ride. I highly recommend this one. Mostly flat and 70% was on hard packed crushed stone trails. I don’t recommend a road bike unless you can put at least 28mm tires on. I did it riding my comfort bike. Lots of history lessons and great support.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015