Riders from other countries?

I was wondering if anyone talked to someone from other countries on this year’s RAGBRAI. Or any forum members that are themselves from a different country that rode this year. I didn’t get the opportunity to meet anyone foreign and hear any good stories about their travels but talked to people from many different states with some good stories themselves. This is just a poll out of personal curiosity, I think it’s awesome that they would travel that kind of distance to join us Iowans for our ride. If you saw a map with some listed that will work too. I saw a map in one of the pass through towns that had Mexico, Canada, Russia, Vietnam, Cayman Islands, and Japan accounted for at the time I saw it. It also had every state except for Hawaii as far as I can remember, but I did meet a man from Hawaii so I know that one is accounted for too. Let’s hear what you got.

13 Replies

wildercurtin@gmail.com, August 11, 2016 at 6:58 pm

We talked to a guy from Ireland while we were breaking our bikes down to ship them back to Seattle. He came just for RAGBRAI and was flying home Sunday or Monday. Peg and Jim

Niles, August 11, 2016 at 8:45 pm

One member of my team is from Canada. He is riding his 31st consecutive RAGBRAI. I believe I saw the father-an-son team from US Virgin Island and another rider whose name is spelled in German.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 11, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Uhh… German uses the Latin alphabet, with a couple of exceptions like the ‘ess-tset’ (ß) and the vowels with the umlauts (the two dots) over them.  In fact, my actual last name is German, and is spelled with the standard Latin (English) alphabet.

Are you sure you didn’t mean spelled in Cyrillic (the Russian alphabet)?

-“BB”-

Nico ZZZ, August 12, 2016 at 8:04 am

Talked to a guy from New Zealand who was with his wife. Met a guy on day 7 from Venezuela. I met a team of eight guys from Colombia, but some live here in the U.S. now. And my teammate and I came up from Miami…many who visit here believe it to be another country!

jwsknk, August 12, 2016 at 8:04 am

we had 2 Australians, 2 from England ( 1 originally from there who did her last RAGBRAI in 1988 after finishing up her Masters at ISU) and 1 from Portugal who was in the US for the summer

cyclone80, August 12, 2016 at 8:25 am

My brothers and I had a nice conversation in the Humeston city park with a gentleman from Tel Aviv.

ppayne1959, August 12, 2016 at 9:25 am

A guy from South Africa, a guy from Ireland, and a young girl from Kazakhstan. She was adopted by a couple here in the US but still had that listed on her license plate.

igor, August 12, 2016 at 9:53 am

I had a brief conversation on the road with gentleman from France.

Marla Shifflett, August 17, 2016 at 2:49 pm

We visited with a lady from Wales who was disgruntled because the PB&J stand ran out of peanut butter. We asked where she was from and she was shocked we didn’t know because she flew a tiny Wales flag on the rear of her bicycle. Ummm . . . I need to watch Big Bang Theory a little more often to catch “Fun With Flags” with Sheldon Cooper. Anyway, guess they like their peanut butter in Wales! She wanted a PB&J every day for lunch. 🙂 A couple from France asked us why they didn’t just choose a different town instead of Prescott, IA because of the gravel. Ummm . . . because there aren’t any. They were shocked our towns were so far apart. Yep, this is Heaven.

KenH, August 17, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I think I saw the same Welsh lady one morning. She not only had the flag on her bike, she was wearing a jersey with the Welsh dragon flag motif. Just as I was pulling up alongside her to have a chat she called “rider off” and I never saw her again. I have the same jersey. We lived in England for six months way back in 1988 when I had a job assignment there. We visited Wales several times and I love the land, the people, and that flag. Best flag in the world and I did not need Dr. Cooper to tell me that! This is the second year I have worn that jersey and just like last time when I wear it I meet everyone from Wales and everyone who knows someone from Wales. I must have talked to five or six this year but I don’t have anything specific to relate because they all run together in my aging mind. Now you have me wishing I had stopped when the Welsh lady stopped!

Last year the Webster City community theater had just done Spamalot and they had a photo op booth set up in town as we passed by. I was going to pass it by even though I love the movie it’s based on but they practically tackled me and hauled me in for a picture. I was wearing the Welsh jersey that day you see and they could not let someone who almost looked like a cast member pass without a photo.

Spamalot

The gravel in Prescott was a little odd because they could have routed us through town on a paved street. I run on 38mm tires and I did the gravel loop so I can’t say it inconvenienced me however!

Ellen, September 2, 2016 at 3:52 am

I am an American who lives in Uganda and traveled for RAGBRAI this year for my six ride. Took me roughly eight flights and two car rides to get to the start of the ride and four flight and a bus ride to get home. I have lived overseas on and off for three years now and I plan my life around traveling back for RAGBRAI I can’t miss the best bike ride!!! Already planing for next year.

RoyBoy, September 2, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Ellen, we hope you will always make it back every year. We miss you when you’re not here. Take care.

This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by RoyBoy.

Marla Shifflett, September 15, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Ellen: I love RAGBRAI and all, but seriously, eight flights and two car rides to get there and four flights and a bus to get home? Ain’t nobody got time for that! lol I was within 30 miles of home for two of the nights, and I spent every night with friends across the state, so I loved it. But, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t go through the Herculean efforts you do to see a few hills and ride a bike across Iowa. Hope to meet you next year! I’ll be praying for travel mercies for you! I do appreciate getting to ride RAGBRAI “close to home.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015