Riding half of RAGBRAI

If a couple of us want to ride only the first half, any suggestions for catching a shuttle back to Onawa? We would be driving from Chicago to Onawa, parking there, and then paying day to day using only the included services (semi truck, camping out). We don’t want to pay for a full charter service, but we are wondering how we can get ourselves and our bikes/ luggage back to the starting point from the halfway point?

7 Replies

orion12521, February 10, 2018 at 8:00 am

It might be easier and simpler for you to park wherever you are intending to end your week and trying to find a ride to the start from there. The added benefit would be that your trip home would be shorter.

Uncle Kraig, February 10, 2018 at 8:25 am

Yes, what Orion said. You will have much better luck driving to Ames or Newton and parking there. Then you can easily get a ride from there to Onawa. Ride to Ames or Newton and your stuff will be waiting for you. Good luck!

Denton Kernodle, February 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Last year I joined the ride on Wednesday in Charles City and left my truck there. I had prearranged to meet a group at the end of the ride going my way back to Charles City. They were going further northwest. I met up with them and for $50 they dropped me off as they went through Charles City. Worked great!

This year I am meeting the ride in Ames so I need a similar situation to get from Davenport back to Ames. I wouldn’t mine leaving my truck in Davenport and hitching a ride to Ames but that is more problematic.

mootsman, February 11, 2018 at 8:36 am

Half RAGBRAI’s are easy especially this year. Pork Belly has a half week option and you can opt for either the 1st or 2nd half of RAGBRAI with the diving town being Ames.

The other option are 1 way car rentals. Not all towns allow them as they are too small. Onawa may not but only a 30 mile ride away is Sioux City which does have them at the airport actually south of town. Then after dropping off your luggage and friends in Onawa, return the car to Sioux City then riding back to Onawa. Ames, Iowa City and Davenport all have 1 ways although the rental places in Davenport close at noon on Saturday. You can also park your car at a town with a regional airport and just rent a car once at the airport to your start town.

jwsknk, February 11, 2018 at 2:34 pm

We often have extra seats coming home to Ames, of course we wont know until the ride is real close. Sometime during the week we should have the exact number. Dont know cost yet either. 50sounds close for bus seat and loading the bike on the truck.

Denton Kernodle, March 9, 2018 at 11:35 am

jwsknk, contact me about a ride back to Ames.

Denton Kernodle, March 9, 2018 at 11:50 am

We often have extra seats coming home to Ames, of course we wont know until the ride is real close. Sometime during the week we should have the exact number. Dont know cost yet either. 50sounds close for bus seat and loading the bike on the truck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015