Road Riding

My area doesn’t have trails so riding on the road is the only option. I rode on the road last year without being too nervous but now I’ve become more nervous about it. Do any of you who ride on the road listen to music on headphones? Do any of you ride with flashing lights on your bike or anything to draw more attention to yourself from distracted drivers? What are tips you have for riding on the road? Any different tips for riding in hills? Thanks!

17 Replies

Cory Rood, February 9, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Be aware that flashing lights facing frontward are not legal in many areas, except on law enforcement vehicles. I run a flashing headlight in addition to a steady light, and have not had any issues over many years, but I learned recently that front-facing flashing lights are not permitted by the traffic laws in my state.

I think you might be mistaken on this. Motorcycles have been manufactured for years with the headlight flashing. If it was indeed illegal this wouldn’t be this way.

Geoff Butland, February 26, 2018 at 7:16 am

My wife is an avid runner and she always wears headphones for the same reason as the original poster – the music motivates/times her pace. She recently discovered “bone conduction” headphones that leave your ears open to hear oncoming traffic/emergency vehicles. They still look like headphones, likely meaning illegal on a bike, but I can’t say I’ve ever seen a cyclist pulled over for ear bud violations. RUN over, maybe, but not pulled over.
I strap a USB speaker on the crossbar that runs near the top of my recumbent’s seat. With the speaker near my ears I do not need to keep the volume high to enjoy the music.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015