RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Roakkill

Can you guys tell me the story behind the roadkill and the adornment with Mardi Gras beads?  I brought some beads from home, here in Louisiana, and lost the thrill of giving them out b/c the roadkill was wearing them.  So if I give them out next year is it a slam…am I saying, “You are roadkill.”?

10 Replies

jwsknk, August 30, 2011 at 6:59 am

I think its “you are a party animal”
Really don’t know, it’s been going on so long first with the stickers and then the beads

Zinger, August 30, 2011 at 7:00 am

It used to be that Team Roadkill always honored the fallen with beads. 

“Bicycle Bill”, August 30, 2011 at 8:52 am

I believe this may actually pre-date Team Roadkill — although they may have been the first team to try to tag *every* piece of roadkill — and think this started back in the later 1980s, when some of the teams (like Team Graffiti and the Killer Bees, among others) had stickers made up for their members; these stickers then found their way onto signs, walls, windows, bar stools, lemonade stands, the bodies of willing females, etc.  Dead critters were only a natural extension.

Then too, this was the time when “Spuds McKenzie”, the original Bud Light “party animal” was so popular and was appearing on posters, signs, TV ads, and in-person promos; he was Bud Light’s version of the famed Clydesdale hitch.  All this attention, of course, led to a few satirical cartoons which eventually made their way onto license plates, posters, and shirts, such as the one below:in which Spuds is DOA on the side of the road with a competitor’s truck (in my area it was either Heileman’s Old Style or Miller Lite) shown leaving the scene.  This may or may not have been a factor in when the beads first started turning up….insinuating that the recently-demised critter had been a ‘party animal’ itself.

Hey — it’s as good an explanation as any!!!

-“BB”-
(p.s. — interesting bits of trivia; Spuds was a bull terrier a/k/a “pit bull”, and was in fact a female.  Her real name was “Honey Tree Evil Eye”, and she went to that great kennel in the sky due to kidney failure in May of 1993, right after the Memorial Day weekend.  One too many parties, maybe?)

Sandaltan ., August 30, 2011 at 12:24 pm

John L said: Can you guys tell me the story behind the roadkill and the adornment with Mardi Gras beads?  I brought some beads from home, here in Louisiana, and lost the thrill of giving them out b/c the roadkill was wearing them.  So if I give them out next year is it a slam…am I saying, “You are roadkill.”?

Continue to bring the beads John L, it is not a slam.  Let the good times roll.

RIDE RIGHT

RoyBoy, August 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Laissez le bon temps rouler.

Michrider !!!, August 31, 2011 at 6:25 am

There was more than one day on this year’s router, that I felt like road kill!!!

jwsknk, August 31, 2011 at 6:47 am

Felt like saying “well stick a fork in me, I’m done.”?

Michrider !!!, August 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm

jwsknk said: Felt like saying “well stick a fork in me, I’m done.”?

I felt like begging attractive women to baste me with a cold Budweiser!!!

John L, September 2, 2011 at 3:53 am

ahh okay…adorning the dead! Good to know! I got my poster…I have to find the perfect spot for it!

iowarivertours.com, June 30, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Soooo my husband and I made a road kill calendar in 2005. Team Road Kill if you are in Cherokee please stop by our Tube-Brai event see iowarivertours.com for details of how you can tube the Little Sioux River after your ride. We are right on the river in the middle of the charter groups. The calendar really is spectacular and we got turned down by the best and worst publishing houses! I will give your group one. Abby (712) 229 1888

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters