RAGBRAI XLVIII lottery results will be emailed to riders throughout the week!

Route and elevation gpx seems off

OK I know I am getting excited so I thought I would get daily routes into my Ride With GPS. I did the first few days and the elevation given from Ragbrai seems off compared to ride with GPS. I followed the exact same roads in the route map. Ragbrai says day 1 was 2500 feet of elevation, but RwGPS shows 1500.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35833002

3 Replies

KenH, April 29, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Well, GPS elevations are always problematic. That seems like an unusually large error or perhaps difference would be a better word since we don’t know which one, if either, is correct. At one time RAGBRAI had a friend (was it Rich Ketchum?) who drove/rode their routes with a sophisticated mapping and elevation measuring system of his own construction. Those results were probably more dependable than any published information since we knew they were taken on the actual route whereas published information relies on various sources of data which can range from quite good to more or less good faith estimates. I don’t know if RAGBRAI’s resident cartographer is still involved but if he is I think he typically runs the route during the pre-ride which takes place some time in June. So we are not likely to get the most dependable information until then.

Gypsy Rose, April 29, 2021 at 2:50 pm

I see that the only GPX file available on the site is for day 7.
I hope that files for the other days will be posted soon (and that the mileages currently listed for each day’s ride turn out to be more accurate than those listed on the maps in 2019).

This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Gypsy Rose.

KenH, May 4, 2021 at 7:51 am

The new maps are up here. These are the traditional artistic maps which look pretty but aren’t as useful to some of us as the more map-like maps that are currently available under the XLVIII menu. Both are nice to have and the new ones have important details like meeting towns and the Karras loop and the gravel route which are lacking on the others.

On that page you will see a promise to have GPX files by July. I would imagine that with the release of these new maps which give some confidence that there are no more significant route changes expected individuals will start posting their own GPS files on places like Ride With GPS soon, maybe this week!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI