Join Us in July - Register Today!

Route Announcement

First time RAGBRAI rider here, so maybe a dumb questions: I am not able to be at the route announcement party, so what is the best way to hear about the route in close to real time as possible.

Thanks
JS

135 Replies

Mike Binger, January 23, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I will bank on Glenwood as the start.  I called Bluff View Motel and all their rooms are booked for RAGBRAI and they say right after the first of February a block of rooms will be released.

Davy Sprocket, January 23, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I think Glenwood looks promising too.  I am looking forward to the rolling hills of a southern route.

Amanda, January 24, 2011 at 7:55 am

Officials from towns that are possible start towns will reserve rooms for RAGBRAI in the event that the route starts there. This does not necessarily mean that we will start in Glenwood. But who knows – I have been wrong several times this week so why stop when I’m on a roll!

Davey – I’m from Alton , which is a hop, skip and jump (2.8 miles from home to work) from Orange City. How did your team do at the track meet?

Sandaltan ., January 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

The Little Stoker is all smiles this morning!!  Both of her teams won.  Hooray!

Bret who?
<font size=”5″>Our Rodgers, who art in Lambeau, hollowed be thy arm. Thy
bowl will come, it will be won. In Chicago as it is in Lambeau,give us this
Sunday, our Championship win! Give us many touchdown passes, but do not let
others pass against us. Lead us not into frustration, but deliver us to the
valley of the sun. For thine is the MVP, the best of the NFC, and the glory of
the Cheeseheads, now & forever. Amen!

RIDE RIGHT</font>

jwsknk, January 24, 2011 at 9:31 am

This just came out on facebook:
Are you ready for this Saturday? If you’re not attending the RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party, be sure to watch the live streaming hosted by the Des Moines Register’s Kyle Munson and Erin Crawford at 8:30 p.m. Also, tell us if your team is gathering for this event?

knotbury, January 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I believe that converts to 4.30am over here and I seem to recall having a previous engagement at that time on a Sunday morning. It will be the first thing I check when I wake up though.

jwsknk, January 24, 2011 at 1:59 pm

knotbury said: I believe that converts to 4.30am over here and I seem to recall having a previous engagement at that time on a Sunday morning. It will be the first thing I check when I wake up though.

Might as well get used to waking up a 4:30 for RAGBRAI, Either all the zippers from the (way to early) risers or it’s time to make a KYBO run… um trip.  (KYBO was the company that suppled the portable johns for the early rides, now, no matter what company or brand they are refered to as Kybo’s) Looks as if 6 others plan on rising a bit early

<FONT color=#3b5998>Mark Zwanziger</FONT> ‎2 of us will be watching from Oundle in the UK. 2old2fat.

<LI class=”uiUfiComment comment_2582790 ufiItem ufiItem”>

<FONT color=#3b5998>Colin Farnworth</FONT> That will be 4 taking a keen interest from England

knotbury, January 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm

It may be a little more tempting to wake to the early morning sounds of Ragbrai in July but there is little to seduce us from under the duvet in England in January! On the Maths front I have to confess to representing 2 of the respondents. “keen interest = checking when I wake!) I was suprised to see that another 2 will be watching from this side of the pond but I am guessing that they may be from your side originally. If any more Brits join in we may have to have RAGBRITS shirts printed :-)

I have aquainted myself with the Kybo’s though – not only in the obvious way! My club (CUBS) run ‘Kybo bingo’ each year as a charity fundraiser 

knees36, January 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm

knotbury said: It may be a little more tempting to wake to the early morning sounds of Ragbrai in July but there is little to seduce us from under the duvet in England in January! On the Maths front I have to confess to representing 2 of the respondents. “keen interest = checking when I wake!) I was suprised to see that another 2 will be watching from this side of the pond but I am guessing that they may be from your side originally. If any more Brits join in we may have to have RAGBRITS shirts printed :-) I have aquainted myself with the Kybo’s though – not only in the obvious way! My club (CUBS) run ‘Kybo bingo’ each year as a charity fundraiser 

Knots…I love your British humor…RAGBRITS!!!  My wife is a Brit, but several generations removed from your side of the pond.   Her maiden name was Bardsley…her family came from the Manchester area,  I believe.  Try to get lots of sun before coming to Iowa…there will be plenty of it here, if all goes as usual, for the week of RAGBRAI.   Hope to meet you all this summer on the ride.  Knees.

jwsknk, January 24, 2011 at 3:11 pm

knotbury said: It may be a little more tempting to wake to the early morning sounds of Ragbrai in July but there is little to seduce us from under the duvet in England in January! On the Maths front I have to confess to representing 2 of the respondents. “keen interest = checking when I wake!) I was suprised to see that another 2 will be watching from this side of the pond but I am guessing that they may be from your side originally. If any more Brits join in we may have to have RAGBRITS shirts printed :-) I have aquainted myself with the Kybo’s though – not only in the obvious way! My club (CUBS) run ‘Kybo bingo’ each year as a charity fundraiser 
Oh, the CUBS, you know Bruce? classical music on the bike, rolls into camp with a tender toms for later, usually no shirt. Rode with Skunks for awhile.
we changing this into a geneological thread? my Great great, great grandmother, Elanore Easter King (B 1829) Pickering, Yorkshire., she maried the brother of her older sisters husband. King family goes on back to Robert King of Old Walton, born 1630 & I think died in 1690.

knotbury, January 24, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I do know Bruce (retired maths professor?) – but I don’t think that I ever met your grandmother.

jwsknk, January 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm

knotbury said: I do know Bruce (retired maths professor?) – but I don’t think that I ever met your grandmother.

yep, Michigan.
Don’t know if there are any Kings left around Pickering, both the sisters , who married the French brothers, came to the US.

helenheart, January 24, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Knots…I love your British humor…RAGBRITS!!!  My wife is a Brit, but several generations removed from your side of the pond.   Her maiden name was Bardsley…her family came from the Manchester area,  I believe.  Try to get lots of sun before coming to Iowa…there will be plenty of it here, if all goes as usual, for the week of RAGBRAI.   Hope to meet you all this summer on the ride.  Knees.

Knees????? You tell this…this….this hooligan, that your wife is from the Manchester area – and not me?!?!?!? Do I mean nothing to you? I am crushed.

Davy Sprocket, January 25, 2011 at 7:54 am

Yea!  Helen is back.  Nice to see you girl.

“Bicycle Bill”, January 25, 2011 at 8:03 am

Davy Sprocket said: Yea!  Helen is back.  Nice to see you girl.

I’ve never yet seen Helen.
And now she’s not even answering her text messages…..

-“BB”-

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters