Join Us in July - Register Today!

Route Announcement

First time RAGBRAI rider here, so maybe a dumb questions: I am not able to be at the route announcement party, so what is the best way to hear about the route in close to real time as possible.

Thanks
JS

135 Replies

Fourfold, January 26, 2011 at 7:17 am

Poor old Knotbury is too upset to post here now – he’s tried so hard with his reading over the past 50 years or so but it’s not easy trying to see a book by candlelight in our dark little cottages. Anyway we’re going to have to work on his numeracy next – I think a 6 hour time difference means that a 8.30pm announcement is 2.30am here not 4.30am as he previously posted. The next class will be how to divide by 1.5367 as someone has just told us you don’t even have the same money as us! Is there anything else we need to know before we see you somewhere in July?

Michrider !!!, January 26, 2011 at 7:30 am

Fourfold said: Poor old Knotbury is too upset to post here now – he’s tried so hard with his reading over the past 50 years or so but it’s not easy trying to see a book by candlelight in our dark little cottages. Anyway we’re going to have to work on his numeracy next – I think a 6 hour time difference means that a 8.30pm announcement is 2.30am here not 4.30am as he previously posted. The next class will be how to divide by 1.5367 as someone has just told us you don’t even have the same money as us! Is there anything else we need to know before we see you somewhere in July?

Maybe a little bit different Language?  LOL, I’m just saying!  You can alway get HelenHeart to translate!!!!

jwsknk, January 26, 2011 at 9:27 am

Fourfold, what I learned by going to England was to always get in the back seat of a car. otherwise I might end up behind the wheel, who put that on the wrong side?
Also took a few turns to get used to going down the left hand side of the road,
 and we never were sure how far it was to the next town, kilometers, miles ?
Some people we road with one day also confused us with a couple of terms, Car up to them was a car coming up from behind and not a car ahead of you coming your way. Car down was one coming at you.
Car Up = one coming at you
Car back = coming from behind
Left or On Your Left = you are passing someone on their left side or someone is coming around you on your left side.
Oh and beer, do we need to go into that subject here? where’s Mitchriders beer thread? Cheap American p1sswater. you call this beer? whys it so cold?

pHIlo, January 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Davy Sprocket sez: Do they have electricity in the UK yet?  I can’t remember if we let them have that yet or not.

pHIlo sez:  When I lived in a council home in South London in the early ’80s, we had a coin-meter in a closet for power.  Always had a stack of pennies around!

Gives new meaning to “put a penny in …”

ts, January 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Fourfold said: Is there anything else we need to know before we see you somewhere in July?

Probably the most important thing to learn about is American beer, precious little of which really is.  The best beer comes from breweries you’ve never heard of, so read up on American breweries then avoid the ones you’ve read about.

pHIlo, January 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm

ts said:

Fourfold said: Is there anything else we need to know before we see you somewhere in July?

Probably the most important thing to learn about is American beer, precious little of which really is.  The best beer comes from breweries you’ve never heard of, so read up on American breweries then avoid the ones you’ve read about.

Ain’t that the truth!

jwsknk, January 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

pHIlo said:

ts said:

Ain’t that the truth!

Yep, but the BMC products will be 90% of what you find during the week.

Michrider !!!, January 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

jwsknk said:

pHIlo said:

ts said:

Ain’t that the truth!

I’ll have one of each, thank you!!!!

helenheart, January 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Michrider said:

jwsknk said:

pHIlo said:

ts said:

Ain’t that the truth!

ALL OF YOU – WRONG THREAD!!!!!!

Michrider !!!, January 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm

helenheart said:

Michrider said:

jwsknk said:

pHIlo said:

ts said:

Ain’t that the truth!

ALL OF YOU – WRONG THREAD!!!!!!

Praise the Dog, she’s back!

Davy Sprocket, January 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

pHIlo said:
pHIlo sez:  When I lived in a council home in South London in the early ’80s, we had a coin-meter in a closet for power.  Always had a stack of pennies around! Gives new meaning to “put a penny in …”

I actually like that idea and wish it was for water too.  That way I could give my son his money and use for showers.  Maybe he could keep them under 25-minutes.

Can’t wait for Saturday!

Michrider !!!, January 26, 2011 at 7:51 pm

When will they announce the route?

knees36, January 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Michrider said: When will they announce the route?

NOT until you find a comfy curb, Mich…on the 29th.  Watch a video stream on the RAG website starting at 8:30 pm.  They’ll probably start drawing the “overnights” out of a hat one at a time and it should be all over before midnight…Kaintucky time!!!

Michrider !!!, January 26, 2011 at 8:44 pm

knees36 said:

NOT until you find a comfy curb, Mich…on the 29th.  Watch a video stream on the RAG website starting at 8:30 pm.  They’ll probably start drawing the “overnights” out of a hat one at a time and it should be all over before midnight…Kaintucky time!!!
It won’t start here till 9:30 PM.  Guess I’ll have to delay bedtime!!!

Michrider !!!, January 27, 2011 at 7:49 am

Michrider said:

knees36 said:

It won’t start here till 9:30 PM.  Guess I’ll have to delay bedtime!!!

2 days until the route announcement!  I wanna know!!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 134 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters