RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Route Guestimates

I know there’s gotta be people like me playing w/ mapquest mileage to estimate the routes. Any good guesses out there?

Or maybe I misunderstand the mileage they gave at the announcement party — they say they’re negotiating routes — if so, are the miles subject to change? Or is that just blowing smoke to build the tension until later this year. I’m guessing they already have a planned route in mind.

23 Replies

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 8:45 pm

The route may change in the coming months therefore the mileage may change slightly as well, but not significantly.  Who really cares anyways.  Regardless of the mileage, you still have to get to the next town.  Just ride!

GracelandBiker, February 3, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Just obsessing. It’s going through several of my old hometowns (potentially) this year. Figured it a good enough thing to take bets on :)

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 8:55 pm

GracelandBiker said: Just obsessing. It’s going through several of my old hometowns (potentially) this year. Figured it a good enough thing to take bets on :)

A lot of it will depend on road quality later in the year and pass through towns progress towards their proposals.  It is a work in progress for sure so look at the current route as more of a guideline rather than a rule.

knees36, February 3, 2011 at 8:55 pm

GracelandBiker said: Just obsessing. It’s going through several of my old hometowns (potentially) this year. Figured it a good enough thing to take bets on :)

Hey, another GU biker!!!  (Jeff B.?)   Anyway, I’m a Graceland alum, twice, class of ’59’ with an AA and class of ’61’ with a BA.  I also saw in the latest Horizons that there’s going to be a Graceland team this year.  Sounds awesome.  Go Jackets!!!  Knees.  

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Copycats knees!  I have had a GU team for years.

knees36, February 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Davy Sprocket said: Copycats knees!  I have had a GU team for years.

How did  I miss you guys???  Do you have Graceland jerseys and the whole “shebang?”  Where have  I been?

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Yep!  We were the motivation for the GU jerseys.  We all have had them for years.  Gary O’Daniels actually designed them.  We have run into a plethora of almuni on the ride each year.  The original story is on the athletic track website if remember right.

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Oops! Sorry knees. the original ride story isn’t on the new website.  It is on the old site, but I have it because I wrote it.  LOL.

knees36, February 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Davy Sprocket said: Yep!  We were the motivation for the GU jerseys.  We all have had them for years.  Gary O’Daniels actually designed them.  We have run into a plethora of almuni on the ride each year.  The original story is on the athletic track website if remember right.

And the website address is:?  I’d love to visit it!!!  And following the “ooops.”  I’d like to visit the old and the new websites.  Thanks so much.

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Here is the new athletic site.  It looks really nice.  http://www.gujackets.com/index.php?skipMobile=1

winorider, February 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Does anyone have thoughts on the route going through or near Templeton?  What about the High Trestle Bridge between Madrid and Woodward?

knees36, February 3, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Davy Sprocket said: Here is the new athletic site.  It looks really nice.  http://www.gujackets.com/index.php?skipMobile=1

Davey, my friend.  You have opened a whole new door for me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!   I’ll be on this website often following my Jackets.
Knees.

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

knees36 said:

Davy Sprocket said: Here is the new athletic site.  It looks really nice.  http://www.gujackets.com/index.php?skipMobile=1

Davey, my friend.  You have opened a whole new door for me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!   I’ll be on this website often following my Jackets.Knees.

Glad to help knees.  Lots of good stuff on there, but the original Ragrai story is on the old site I am afraid.  I will see if I can dig it up.

knees36, February 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Davy Sprocket said:

knees36 said:

Davey, my friend.  You have opened a whole new door for me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!   I’ll be on this website often following my Jackets.Knees.

Glad to help knees.  Lots of good stuff on there, but the original Ragrai story is on the old site I am afraid.  I will see if I can dig it up.

I’d love to see that story as well.  Again, thanks so much for your help with this.  I’ll be looking forward to the “old” story…it kinda fits me!!!  

OnUrLeft, February 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm

If there are no detailed maps how will I know which way to go?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters