Join Us in July - Register Today!

Route maps?

Has anyone found printable route maps with distance between pass through towns?

22 Replies

ccunion, July 1, 2022 at 6:37 am

I’m interested as well. I found this on the ragbrai website:
Daily Route Maps/Marking-
The complete week of daily route maps, with mileage between pass-through towns and other information, will be available at campground Information Centers as well as at the RAGBRAI’s Information and Merchandise Trailers in downtown and in the main campground. The route for the day is published each morning in The Des Moines Register available in the campgrounds. The route is not closed to vehicular traffic but, by publishing the maps, drivers can plan to use other highways while the riders are in the area.

KrisOsmus, July 6, 2022 at 3:46 pm

It is too bad this info is not available on the website. I could really use the distances between towns. I checked day 1 so far with posted routes and my miles game out at 68 – not 52. So are they not posting the correct route? In years past we always had the miles to each pass through town. Pretty critical for water and food planning especially with not all riders used to the heat or riding 7 days in a row. I will be ready but I still need more info to plan my days.

Rob Fuller, July 6, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Try peopleforbikes.org, or https://www.ridespot.org/rides/666454. Consider printing your own daily route maps on card stock in a size that works best for you. Personally, I like large route maps because I often scribble notes before and during the ride.

Suds, July 6, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Distances between towns

Joseph Schlau, July 6, 2022 at 4:53 pm

If the distance between towns is important to your planning right now, you can sign up for a free account with Ride With GPS. In the search box at the top right, put in the search terms RAGBRAI 2022 and you will come up with maps created by Mark47n. It appears Mark is taking what info is currently available to create his maps and has kindly left them as public.

Once you load a particular day, On the RWGPS screen you can place the crosshair cursor on a town and see the distance from the starting point down by the elevation profile. If you know how far down the line each town is, subtract from the distance from the previous number and you have the distances. Add them up to check your math.

For example, on day3, if you put the cursor on Haverlock it is 8.5 miles from the start. Move to the center of Rolfe at 18.5 miles from the start, subtract 8.5 and the distance is 10 miles between Haverlock and Rolfe.

If you want a more full featured version, you can sign up for a trial subscription. Sounds like the free version will answer the immediate question.

Steve Babcock, July 7, 2022 at 4:45 pm

RAGBRAI will you make printable maps for both riders and support driver routes prior to July 23rd???? Having to go find a booth to get the route every evening or morning is unsatisfactory to me. I know there is new management but I fail to see how doing this is a big deal ( it’s been done in the past). Not all of us use GPX file for routing. Our team charts out the routes on a paper Iowa map, it really help our support driver.

Suds, July 7, 2022 at 4:49 pm

Not all of us use GPX file for routing. Our team charts out the routes on a paper Iowa map, it really help our support driver.

You can view the GPX routes on Google maps – easy instructions found by searching well, Google for ‘GPX to Google maps’.
Good luck!

Heather, July 7, 2022 at 4:52 pm

The problem with this is that isn’t the official route. The route might have changed after the inspection route and they haven’t told anyone. The official daily route maps also have the shut down times which are important to people as well.

Joseph Schlau, July 8, 2022 at 4:29 am

This is a Facebook post by Anne Lawrie of RAGBRAI that was 7 hours old as of 4:30 this morning 7/8/22. Looks like today is the day for the maps.

Hi everyone! We are going to have downloadable pdfs available tomorrow along with access to the GPX files. It’ll be on RAGBRAI.com. Town maps are coming. Most are finalizing now.

Suds, July 8, 2022 at 6:09 am

Joseph Schlau, July 8, 2022 at 4:29 am
This is a Facebook post by Anne Lawrie of RAGBRAI that was 7 hours old as of 4:30 this morning 7/8/22. Looks like today is the day for the maps.

Yes – posted on the main RAGBRAI site landing page now:
https://ragbrai.com/check-out-ragbrais-newly-announced-pass-through-and-meeting-towns-with-details-highlights/

luckylu, July 8, 2022 at 6:26 am

.gpx files are posted- im having issues with the Day 1 file though. Im going to assume ragbrai will fix the broken link issue soon.

Low Rider, July 8, 2022 at 6:48 am

Until the link is fixed on the website site, it seems https://ragbrai.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/1.__RAGBRAI_XLIX_Sergeant_Bluff_to_Ida_Grove2.gpx works

LawnchairMan, July 13, 2022 at 2:57 pm

I have asked for updated maps a long time ago. I have been patient in the belief that Ragbrai would come through. It is now only eleven days until we ride, yet there are still many errors in the maps. Here are the problems I had expected to have been corrected by now:
Day 3. The road from Rolfe, though West Bend, to our turn onto B55 is all highway 15. Part of it is still labeled C-12. There is no C-12 in this area. We turn onto B55 not D55 as noted on the current maps.
Day 4. Still shows D55 in error as in Day 3. The path from Wesley to Britt on 225 doesn’t show any detour around the bridge repair. The bridge won’t be done until September. Then, getting into Mason City, 255 and 19th street are the same straight street.
Day 5. We come out of Rockford on county road B45 not the 147 as marked on Ragbrai maps.
Day 6. Just past Lawler, the whole road from V56 into Waucoma is B44.
Day 7. B60 out of Gunder is not labeled. After Postville we turn right onto W48 or the Yellow River Rd, not Cherry Valley. W48 connects to X 16 in a sharp T-intersection. X 16 joins Iowa 76 at an angle, but it is covered on the Ragbrai map by the label. Our last turn is from X 42 onto X 52. X 52 is not shown.
I am confident that I know the route, but for the sake of those wanting to print, PLEASE correct these maps!

This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by LawnchairMan.

LawnchairMan, July 13, 2022 at 3:35 pm

Oops, I forgot one. We come out of Mason City On Kentucky (or Quail st.) and turn left onto 245th or B35. It is not marked on current Ragbrai maps. I am going to look hard for the Ragbrai route markers this time. I haven’t noticed them much in past rides.
Are there any other errors I didn’t catch?

IndigoInkTaco, July 13, 2022 at 3:54 pm

I took a look at the RWGPS options and it looks like Team Wimpy has some uploaded. I looked at day 3 and it shows turning left onto B55.
I have no idea of the routes or anything like that. But could you take a look at their routes and see if they’re correct?
These are the ones I started to print and save to my phone (offline) for navigation.
I’ve never been out there and doing this solo, so I’m trying to do my best to be prepared.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters