RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

RV Camping in S.City before the start

What is the general routine for the start of the ride for folks with RV’s? ( I’ll have a TT with a driver ) Will the city have directions for us as we pull in to town and where to setup for Saturday? Seems like I read some where in the forms that the RVers will be set up different than the tent campers. (Understandable due to generators and parking.) Is it better to get to Sioux City on Friday or pull in early Saturday? (Right now, Saturday early is the plan.) Just another newbie ?
Thanks
PT

3 Replies

Niles, February 4, 2023 at 8:49 pm

I happened to start my RAGBRAI in Sioux City and has been hooked even since. I’d say getting there on Friday will be much preferred.
* You can get better chance to pick parking spot
* Then you have the full Saturday to watch the whole starting town event happening with your first-timer excitement.
* The first time is special. And the first day is even more memorable than the last day when everybody is eager to leave.
* One side note, Sioux City is the best place to tip your (rear) tire in Missouri. And then Davenport is best place to tip your (font) tire in Mississippi. So extra bonus for your end-to-end RAGBRAI rituals.

garywilk, February 5, 2023 at 10:45 am

We have been doing RV for several years now. Tents are not bad but that first morning of rain brings a new meaning to rough for city folks. Saturday morning through early evening, there will be officers or other directing you to a spot. There will be online maps of where to go weeks ahead of time. If for some reason you arrive late on Saturday, just park somewhere on the side of town that the support vehicles leave. This way you are not fighting cross traffic of cyclists. Ragbrai will supply a support vehicle traffic map that will guide the driver to the next town and away from cyclists.

PhilT, February 8, 2023 at 8:11 am

Niles & Gary, thanks for the replies. I have been wanting to do this for several years now. A friend at work told me about RAG and I put it on my bucket list.
I will use ya’lls advise and get there early Saturday. Do the tire dip and be ready for Sundays start. But not before “indulging” in Saturdays events.
Maybe we can meet up and share a cold one along the ride. Hear some good stories about past yrs rides and plan for future ones too.
Thanks again.
Phil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters