The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

RV departure times

OK, go ahead and call me crazy, just get it over with.

Every day, I plan on biking the route and then plan on biking back to the start via a different route so as not to bike against 40,000 bikers. Once back to the start, I’d like to drive the RV to the next town.

Any problems with this, like all RVs need to be out of the lot by noon?

Thanks!

10 Replies

hnschipper, July 12, 2019 at 8:05 pm

You would probably need to check with each individual town. Wednesday could be a really long day for you.

hnschipper, July 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm

The fastest route by car from Centerville back to Indianola is 74 miles. So you would have a minimum of 158 miles that day. I’m guessing you won’t be able to bike on the most direct route.

KenH, July 12, 2019 at 8:40 pm

I went skiing at Jackson Hole in Wyoming a few times. One time they were having a deal where you had your lift cards marked and if you skied 150k vertical feet in a week you would get a nice enameled pin to commemorate the event. I skied hard all week and got that pin. I felt like I had really accomplished something when I was done yet I also felt that I ruined my ski vacation.

Your plan sounds like a difficult way to ruin your RAGBRAI experience. You will have really accomplished something at the end of the week but you will not have had the real RAGBRAI experience. I think you should try really hard to find a driver for the RV, what you propose to do will not be fun at all.

R-Daryl Daryl, July 12, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Kris – you are planning on this marathon with a non-rider wristband?
What are the other two members of your team (rider & non-rider) going to be doing while you risk your life?
Most teams trade off RV driving so that each member could get in on the true RAGBRAI experience.

Although Wednesday is likely to be the most crowded day, the rider count will still be nowhere close to 40,000 riders. Most days have only 15,000 riders spread out over an eight hour period of time. A few newbies will be in he next overnight town before noon (boring) – at the same time as some riders are just departing the prior overnight town (way fun).

This reply was modified 5 days, 11 hours ago by  R-Daryl Daryl.

Kris Kester, July 13, 2019 at 6:32 am

Folks get different things from RAGBRAI. I love the Iowa scenery, free of cars. I like the nightlife after a very hard day in the saddle. I plan on a leisurely pace along the route, then blast it coming back. I’m not judging anyone else.

But, my question remains – do RV need to be out at a certain time? Even on the longest day, I think I could be back by 2pm.

Kris Kester, July 14, 2019 at 9:14 am

BTW, I have full rider credentials, vehicle pass, etc. I plan on starting at first light and I will not interfere with any other riders or RV drivers. I should have just posed the question, “What times do RVs need to leave the lots?”

KenH, July 14, 2019 at 4:43 pm

I think the first response you got is the best any of us knows. Never heard of anyone doing what you propose.

Kris Kester, July 14, 2019 at 6:34 pm

At the risk of being labeled a total freak, one year I biked the normal route each day, then biked to the next day’s town, ate a late lunch or early dinner, then biked back, effectively doing RAGBRAI three times in a week. The next day’s town were so excited to host bikers, I don’t think I bought a meal that whole week.

KenH, July 14, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Clearly you like to ride far more than you like to spend time at the passthrough town activities and that’s ok. I wouldn’t do RAGBRAI if I felt like you do, many people I know don’t do RAGBRAI for exactly that reason and that’s ok too. Your question is so rare that no one knows an answer. I’d park the rig in a spot where it’s unlikely to cause problems and put a sign in a window saying when you expect to come back to collect it and listing your phone number.

Kris Kester, July 14, 2019 at 7:06 pm

Good advice. I enjoy the host towns. I raise a lot of money for charity on the ride. Because I leave early, I don’t bother anyone. There are a few hammerheads out there early (probably 50-100), and if the conditions are right (ie empty roads, no cars, straight aways), I race. I support the host towns and really, really enjoy several cold beverages, fellow riders, and the nightlife. I hope you have a great ride and get out of it what you want.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014