RV Drivers – Where to put the bikes?

If you had a Class A RV with 4-6 riders, would you travel with the bikes inside the rig? Or would you use a trailer?

What do you do with the bikes at night? Inside or locked and covered up outside?

9 Replies

reddog1, February 4, 2020 at 10:56 am

Get a 4 bike rack for the trailer hitch and put 2 inside in bike boxes.
don’t have to worry about your bikes at night in Iowa. Maybe cover if you like

Jose Medina, February 4, 2020 at 11:20 am

There are other times you have to worry about your bikes. I was in a small town and a bunch of riders laid their bikes down on someones driveway and went across the street to the park. I was right there when all of a sudden the garage door opens up and a car backs over about ten bikes or more. We had a terrible time pulling those totalled bikes from under that car. So please do not lay your bikes down on driveways, towns people are not used to having things laying in their driveways. That will ruin your Ragbrai.

Jose Medina, February 4, 2020 at 4:55 pm

I am sure that when that car went in for an oil change the mechanic was wondering why all these Shimano bike parts were attached to the underneath of the car.

KenH, February 4, 2020 at 7:59 pm

I have a class C with a large cargo bay under the bed that opens to the outside. It will hold 4-5 bikes and you can put a rack on the trailer hitch too, mine is a two bike rack. The MH does not have room to sleep all those riders and it would be tight to transport them across Iowa. It has plenty of room for their rides however. We generally leave them out at night. Two can be locked to the rack the rest can be locked in the bay. We rarely do that because you do have to take the front wheels off to get them in there.

thangamalang, February 5, 2020 at 5:30 am

Jose Medina … Wow, what a terrible thing to have happen. Why in the world would anyone lay a bike on a driveway. Could you please tell all of us what year it was, were they riding together as a team , individuals or parts of small groups? What town was it in if you recall. What did the owner of the car have to say about it. How in the world fast was he backing out of his driveway to back over 10 bicycles let alone one or two that would alert him to stop. Was the driver real angry at cyclists in general? Too bad you weren’t able to stop the driver when the doors opened , a hero’s missed opportunity. I’ll remember not to lay my bike on anyone’s driveway. Thanks for the heads up !!

Jose Medina, February 5, 2020 at 7:20 am

Thangamalang ,If I can save just one bike from this experience it would be worth it. I do not remember the town. It was a town square and this happened across the street. Riders were laying down in yards with their bikes but this group decided to lay their bikes on the driveway. It was just a group, I do not know if it was a team. I do remember laying in the yard and seeing the garage door open . I guess everyone there expected someone to walk out not drive out. It was an elderly lady . She probably did not hear what was happening. I stayed long enough to pull most of the bikes out from under the car. The owners of the unibikes had not come back when I left. Yes, thats what they looked like. I said about ten bikes because I did not put them back together and count them. This is something you just don’t imagine happening. Give me some credit for watching out for my fellow riders. 30 years on Ragbrai , how can I remember everything.

This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Jose Medina.

garywilk, February 5, 2020 at 8:35 am

Only worry about theft is when they are leaned up next to a bar for someone to easily grab just to ride back. They usually turn up but it will not make a good night or morning. We just use a simple gun lock which is a small key lock with a thin wire just long enough to go through two frames and the back wheels. Just enough to make them look for another quick grab. My dad also put a rail on the back bumper for the tandem without a wheel and then a 4 bike rack on the trailer hitch.

Papa T, February 5, 2020 at 9:33 am

You cant fix stupid!

Herschel, February 14, 2020 at 5:38 pm

My Class A has a receiver hitch on the front and back so 2 three bike carriers do the job.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015