RV Generator Noise

Not my story, but a great RV Generator story posted on this forum a few years back (2016):

USUALLY – the RV’s are placed in an area separate from the general tent camping areas. I’m sure that some may end up near tents (or V-V). That said, I’d hope that any RV owner would be considerate of any tents near their vehicle.
I did have an incident several years back that stands out – I’d pitched my tent within our charter group area, and was relaxing inside, reading a book, when someone came to the tent and said “Just wanted to let you know that we’ve go to fire up the generator for a little bit”. Their RV was on the edge of our campsite – about 15 feet away from my tent. I thanked him for letting me know – and about 5 minutes later, a frozen margarita was handed into my tent – that’s why they needed to power up! They did not run it all night long (thank God) and were quite considerate during the afternoon / evening.

6 Replies

Sandaltan ., July 15, 2019 at 7:36 pm

RAGBRAI – – – millions of great stories.

RIDE RIGHT

hnschipper, July 15, 2019 at 8:19 pm

I realize I’m probably on the minority, but I love tenting next to an RV that runs a generator all night. Best nights of sleep I get on RAGBRAI.

Brady Bisgard, July 16, 2019 at 7:47 am

I realize I’m probably on the minority, but I love tenting next to an RV that runs a generator all night. Best nights of sleep I get on RAGBRAI.

Agree 100%

KenH, July 16, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Occasionally we park our RV in a quiet campground and if we do we shut the generator down overnight. When we are in the RV campground we do what all the other RV owners do. If generator noise bothers you then you want to avoid that campground! However, generator noise is actually worst inside the RV although that is compensated for by the fact that it is being used to run the AC. There are times when we don’t run the generator or the AC even in the RV campground and personally I find that the steady drone of other generators through the open windows is a noise that is easily tuned out and which masks other sounds that are more likely to wake me. People talking outside and the distant sound of Hairball are more likely to keep me awake. Of course as the days wear on and fatigue begins to accumulate nothing really keeps me awake for long….

Brian Wallenburg, July 17, 2019 at 11:57 am

The idea that the generator noise is worse in the RV is all dependent on the size and muffler of the generator. We had a guy with a HUGE noisy clattering generator pull in next to us. It was so loud and obnoxious We couldn’t even carry on a conversation. We ended up moving camp to a different area. Moral of the story, bring ear plugs and be prepared to move because most people are not like Ken and run their generators all night long!

just randy, July 17, 2019 at 12:24 pm

And take advantage of as many free frozen margaritas as possible to ensure a great night’s sleep !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015