RV question

This is the first Ragbrai for my team, we have an RV as support. Are there RV facilities available at the overnight stops? Water and waste dump facilities in particular.

8 Replies

KenH, May 26, 2021 at 8:51 am

Yes there are. Eventually the towns will release maps and the locations will be noted on them. My team dry camps so we have never used them. Some people report they can be crowded which makes sense because what isn’t crowded at RAGBRAI? Those people say you are better off looking for dump sites along the support vehicle route because the crowds are lighter. Support vehicle maps will be released eventually too, often quite late however. If you want to dump in the overnight towns it may be easier to dump in the next overnight town as soon as you arrive rather than in the overnight town you are leaving in the morning. Doing things the opposite of what most people do can be an effective crowd avoidance strategy.

John Dovishaw, May 26, 2021 at 9:42 am

Thanks Ken.

Wonder Woman, May 26, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Our team usually has someone do a search of dump stations before the ride and make a list of those on the vehicle route. Look for wayside rests and campgrounds. Remember some days will be more crowded at those than others, but it is much better than waiting in line at an overnight town

T. Gap Woo, May 29, 2021 at 7:50 am

John,

Welcome to the madhouse!

Although Mrs Woo and I don’t use an RV and don’t have to worry about finding dump stations, Mrs Woo is my support driver in charge of finding motels, wineries etc along the I-O-Way. I’d like to share a tip that works for her.

Get a Triple A tour book (if you’re a member) and a Travel Iowa guide/map. One source will list campgrounds, state parks etc with dump stations, while the other will show you where things are in relation to the Route.

Mrs Woo drives parallel to, but not on, the support route and has never had a problem finding motels, farmstands, cheese houses, wineries and other interesting stuff to take up the time while I pedal.

I’ll see you along the I-O-Way in July.

T. Gap Woo, May 29, 2021 at 7:51 am

John,

Welcome to the madhouse!

Although Mrs Woo and I don’t use an RV and don’t have to worry about finding dump stations, Mrs Woo is my support driver in charge of finding motels, wineries etc along the I-O-Way. I’d like to share a tip that works for her.

Get a Triple A tour book (if you’re a member) and a Travel Iowa guide/map. One source will list campgrounds, state parks etc while the other will show you where things are in relation to the Route.

Mrs Woo drives parallel to, but not on, the support route and has never hard a problem finding motels, farmstands, cheese houses, wineries and other interesting stuff to take up the time while I pedal.

I’ll see you along the I-O-Way in July.

John Dovishaw, May 30, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. Looking forward to the craziness.

jomandre, May 31, 2021 at 10:16 am

Thanks for asking this question, John. I was wondering the same thing. Our first RAGBRAI with our two sons and also the first with an RV. Safe travels everyone!

Marksatex@gmail.com, June 14, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Not sure I understand the overnight set up. We will have an RV and prefer using “shore” or provided electricity, rather than running the generator all night. I have the RV on our vehicle list for our team but I am concerned about overbite power- Dump stations – I will follow someone above info to dump.

We were thinking of 2 options wit the RV- 1) move it to the NEXT city in the morning- Shuttle back to the start (we have a toad) Hopefully, moving early will garner us a good spot. Option 2) Find a park 1/2 way approx and set up there leaving it in one spot all week. using our toad to shuttle daily..
Thoughts ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI