RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Saddle Recommendation

After getting in my first couple rides this season, in unpadded tights, I’m reminded it’s time to shop for saddles again!

I’ve got a hybrid with a Terry Fly-Ti on it. It’s really made for a road stance, but was OK for Rag last year.

Now I’m looking at a Terry ‘Liberator Y’ or a WTB ‘Speed V’.

Anybody have any recommendations?

38 Replies

Just Krusin, February 19, 2011 at 7:49 am

And so the annual ” what seat to buy” has started.  This is always a good question and you will get 30 different answers but it all boils down to what works for you.  I’ve seen $200 saddles on $50 bikes and I’ve seen $50 saddles on $5000 bikes.  Listen to what people say to try just to know what is out there but try as many as possible and use the one you like.  As long as you are comfortable who cares what it is. 

Ken, February 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

I got tired of numbness and bought a MoonSaddle.  Love it.

Google moon saddle for more info.

Cincy Grinder, February 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Hey Ken,

For how long and how many miles have you used the Moon Saddle? I’m intrigued and might have to give it a try!

Ken, February 19, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Had it for 18mo now.  Rode two charity rides in CT last year (Angel Ride 155mi and ??? 60mi) plus lots of Saturday 60mi training rides.

RAGBRAI last year (as a rookie) 450+.

The seat feels a little strange at first, you feel like you are falling off!! But after 5mi or so it is great.  It is easy to shift positions etc etc.

Ken

ts, February 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm

pHIlo said: Anybody have any recommendations?

I’m currently using a Specialized Phenom 130 mm, and I love it.  That information may not do you much good, though, because saddles are personal things and you have to find the one that feels best to you.

My best advice is find the one that fits you the best.  One reason I like the Specialized saddles is that they come in different widths.  The width is determined the width by your “sit bones”, or ischial tuberosity.  I went through two saddles that were too wide for me before I did this measurement and finally got a saddle that fits.  Also, don’t think that the plushest saddle will be the most comfortable.  You don’t want to sink into a saddle – that puts pressure where you don’t want it, and that’s what leads to numbness.

nwiabikr, February 20, 2011 at 8:37 pm

This web site will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about saddles including selection of the right one.
http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

screamnturtle, February 20, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Went to saddleless-ElliptiGo

ts, February 21, 2011 at 12:03 am

screamnturtle said: Went to saddleless-ElliptiGo

LOL – I guess that’s one way to avoid saddle sores!

jwsknk, February 21, 2011 at 8:14 am

gee, I get to be the first to mention Brooks, 10 + years with it,they take a little care but it’s been worth it for me.

benherr, February 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

pHilo
I recently tried/buyed a WTB Rocket. It’s geared toward the mtn bike but it is sooo comfortable. In fact, for my hinnie, it’s the most comfortable seat I’ve tried thus far. And I’ve tried a lot. Anyway, the LBS let me try it first to see what I thought. Everybody is built a little different and has different tolerence levels. Try it before you buy it.

ben

o2golfpar, February 21, 2011 at 11:18 am

Two Saddle recommendations.

1. Selle An-Atomica 
  2. Brooks B17Special.  

KittySlayer, February 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm

pHIlo said: After getting in my first couple rides this season, in unpadded tights, I’m reminded it’s time to shop for saddles again!

Maybe it is time to shop for some shorts with a good chamois.

Really, there are some steps you need to do before even thinking about shopping for saddles.

First get yourself some shorts (gender specific) that feel good against your body. Bibs are very comfortable for riding but can be a nuisance for some Kybo visits. In fact, once you find a pair you like buy another pair as you should have at a minimum 2-3 shorts so you can always be riding in a clean, dry pair every day.

Second make sure your bike fits properly. The height of your current saddle along with the fore/aft adjustment, tilt and reach to bars can all impact your comfort no matter what you are sitting on.

Finally don’t even bother trying what folks post unless your butt is the same shape and size as their butt (maybe that’s why it is so hard to post pics on this forum). I’d tell you what we ride but then showing you the picture would kill you.

Too much padding can be a huge problem when shopping for saddles, yes it feels good when you poke it with your finger but as soon as you sit on a cushy saddle your sit bones sink in and all that nice padding pushes up into your softer parts.

Saddle width should be such that your sit bones sit on the sitting part of the saddle, not too wide, not too narrow, just right. It is funny to watch petite women trying to wedge a saddle marketed as a womens saddle between their narrow butt when they should really be riding a narrower saddle that may be marketed to men.

Cut outs work for some people and not for others. Be sure to look at the construction and be sure the saddle cut out will be giving you comfort rather than just providing two sharp edges to further contribute to your discomfort.

Finally, as you try different saddles be sure they are properly installed (hight, fore/aft, tilt). In fact ride with a wrench in your pocket and make some adjust as you ride.

And for a week long ride, a long ride or early in the season some lubrication is nice to avoid Monkey Butt. My preferred lube is Chamois Butt’r. If I will be riding in the rain all day I will use Bag Balm but it does not wash out as easily when you launder your shorts.

Michrider !!!, February 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’ve tried the Terry Liberator (OK but too wide) and love the Terry Fly (more narrow)!  I’ve seen people go with wider saddles than they should.  If your saddle is too wide, abrasion and friction will be your enemy!  Saddle choice if very personal.  I have a box full of old saddles that I hate!!!!

David Ertl, February 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

When riding in tights, you still want to wear padded shorts underneath (not on top) of your tights!  And remember, no underwear under your shorts either. No saddle will work under those conditions.

Tony, February 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

This is a very simple answer. One that fits your a s s. Get the saddle fitted to your sit bones and have a proper bike fitting. Hard saddle with minimum padding and flexing. Wear a quality bike short with chamois. No underwear is a must for the bike shorts to work properly. Otherwise the underwear will turn into a chainsaw. Its your crotch. It will love you or destroy you.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI