Saddle Recommendation

After getting in my first couple rides this season, in unpadded tights, I’m reminded it’s time to shop for saddles again!

I’ve got a hybrid with a Terry Fly-Ti on it. It’s really made for a road stance, but was OK for Rag last year.

Now I’m looking at a Terry ‘Liberator Y’ or a WTB ‘Speed V’.

Anybody have any recommendations?

38 Replies

IndianHillsTed, February 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Tony said: Its your crotch. It will love you or destroy you.

That quote is GOLD!!

screamnturtle, February 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I went saddleless, ElliptiGo

verylastrider, February 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Speaking of Gold, don’t forget the Goldbond after the ride, no matter what saddle you choose…..

knees36, February 22, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Michrider said: I’ve tried the Terry Liberator (OK but too wide) and love the Terry Fly (more narrow)!  I’ve seen people go with wider saddles than they should.  If your saddle is too wide, abrasion and friction will be your enemy!  Saddle choice if very personal.  I have a box full of old saddles that I hate!!!!  

I have used a Terry Fly for many years and really like it.  Avoid any covering on your saddle that doesn’t “breathe”, such as vinyl.  I had a vinyl saddle covering my first year and it turned out to be a death march experience except for the phenominal time  I had with all of the other experiences of RAGBRAI.

pHIlo, February 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm

IndianHillsTed said:

Tony said: Its your crotch. It will love you or destroy you.

That quote is GOLD!!

Yes great quote!  I wen’t out the other day for a quick 3 mile ride to the post office & wore jeans … I don’t know I ever managed … way back in the day!

pHIlo, February 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Thanks all

My Terry Fly-TI is OK, I guess … I put about 200 miles on it before Rag & it was a big improvement over the stock Bontrager.

When I got the Fly, the little tag on it said best for 0-45 degree sitting angle, like when you are in the drops, or on the top of drop bars on a road bike.  I have a hybrid and sit more like 45-60 degree, and with flat bars.  The Terry Liberator is made for this I think.  It does look big though & and it weighs lots more.

I might do as TS says and get a fitted Specialized.

Last time I got a new Brooks, I had to ride in the rain of the PACNW for a month to get it broke in … that was a nice saddle!

stuckinmizzou, February 23, 2011 at 11:34 am

I bought an adamo road seat a few years ago and really like it…what I like the best about it is each year it takes very little riding time to break it back in….

http://www.ismseat.com/products_road.htm

giantron, February 23, 2011 at 5:03 pm

As others have said here, it’s so different for everyone. I’ve tried other saddles that others love and I was in pain. So here’s my recommendation;

Get fitted
Specialized shops and some other shops have an b u t t – Ometer, that measures the distance between your sit bones (I would call it an A S S – Ometer but then some people would think it was a personality test).
You can even do this at home by sitting on a double thick piece of cardboard and measuring the width of the two deep indentations. That will give you the distance between your sit bones.
Look at seats and only look for ones that specify width, some brands (such as Specialized and one other which I can’t recall) make the same model in different widths for that very reason.
Then find a shop (Performance is one) that’ll let you return a saddle as long as it isn’t damaged. And then try out a few at those widths.
This is what I did after too much trial and error (ie pain) and I now have a Specialized Avatar in a size that fits and I really like it.
Good luck!!

shawndev, February 24, 2011 at 6:19 am

Ken said: I got tired of numbness and bought a MoonSaddle.  Love it. Google moon saddle for more info.

I looked at the site. Interesting looking saddle. My one question is: it doesn’t seem to offer any support for the, er, boys. Is that true?

Ken, February 24, 2011 at 7:23 am

I get all the support I need from my cycling shorts.  The lack of a protruding “horn” on the Moon Saddle is what relieves the pressure in the groin area.

I think they explain all of that science on their web site.  When I started looking I was googling “Bicycle Groin Numbness”  not “Moon Saddle”.  My research led me to their site.

BTW, my first Moon Saddle developed some cracks and when I questioned them about that they sent me a new one, no charge.  No problem with cracks on the new one.

Ken

papawheelie, February 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I gotta chime in on the Brooks side. B-17 or Professional. They may weigh a few grams more than the others, but they are the most comfortable seats I’ve ever ridden on.  I’ve tossed more than a few top drawer saddles that came on bikes and replaced them with a dusty old B-17 that hangs on the wall. Hard to describe. You slide on them, and they are more like a hammock vs. a hard foam sofa. Just my two cents

ME

aircooled66, February 25, 2011 at 10:16 am

The Brooks saddles really have no equal.  I rode a B190 last year (the largest, heaviest and most-sprung one they make) and had zero saddlesoreness problems.  Don’t get me wrong, you still need to get off the bike every now and then during the day.  They aren’t some 100-mile miracle drug, but the ability to get back on 30 minutes later, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, without pain, soreness, chafing, etc., is priceless.  It’s almost $200 and weighs just over four pounds.  I am 28 and 230 pounds. 

papawheelie, February 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Aircooled66:

I just got a Champion flyer. It’s the B-17, single rails (so it will mount on any modern style seat post/clamp) but it has springs. These are not huge bouncy springs. It is a winner. At 99 bucks new, they ain’t so bad. I always cast around and find them used from ‘non-believers’ who give up too soon (your loss, my gain). It’s On my commuter now but might try it this spring on my touring bike. 
I still over the basic B-17 for all around goodness. 

Michrider !!!, February 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm

papawheelie said: Aircooled66:

I just got a Champion flyer. It’s the B-17, single rails (so it will mount on any modern style seat post/clamp) but it has springs. These are not huge bouncy springs. It is a winner. At 99 bucks new, they ain’t so bad. I always cast around and find them used from ‘non-believers’ who give up too soon (your loss, my gain). It’s On my commuter now but might try it this spring on my touring bike. 
I still over the basic B-17 for all around goodness. 

Papa, I have the same saddle on my winter bike.  It’s just now getting broke in after almost 6 months of riding. I’m beginning to love it!

papawheelie, March 25, 2011 at 9:55 am

Michrider:

sorry to not get back to the forum. Cool stuff on the Champion Flyer. It’s a winner. I had a B-68 or something big and overly sprung. I felt like I was bopping up and down constantly, but the flyer is very subtle.
Side note: before the flyer I had a B-17 special with big copper rivets. This winter, the rails busted. I lifted the saddle, and it broke right off (behind the saddle clamp) Whaaaa?! Well, I took a shot and bought a new frame, rivets, and tensioning bolt from Wallbike (www.wallbike.com). Great folks in N’awlins. Well, I drilled out the old rivets and hammered in the new on an old vise-anvil I have and lo! I got me a Brooks saddle back! so now I have TWO back up B-17’s. Love them leather saddles!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI