Saddle Recommendation

After getting in my first couple rides this season, in unpadded tights, I’m reminded it’s time to shop for saddles again!

I’ve got a hybrid with a Terry Fly-Ti on it. It’s really made for a road stance, but was OK for Rag last year.

Now I’m looking at a Terry ‘Liberator Y’ or a WTB ‘Speed V’.

Anybody have any recommendations?

38 Replies

Rob Black, March 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm

BROOKS,BROOKS,BROOKS, I sampled many many seats till I tried the Brooks Swift…..no more samples …. this is one awesome seat !!!!!

CyclingCyclone, March 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’ve always enjoyed the classic stylings and the comfort of the Selle San Marco Regal saddle.  Have a few on my bikes.  Not the lightest but a darn fine saddle. 

rjjensenia, March 25, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I bought a Wrights leather saddle on ebay a couple weeks back. I only have 60 miles on it but so far I like it!!

Anonymous, March 26, 2011 at 9:53 am

I use an ideale 90..40k on it…smooth as butter

Tony, March 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I have 4 different saddles on 4 bikes. I don’t think cost has anything to do with fit. It does play a factor in material and weight.  I have an Selle Italia Sphere, ISCA Dakar Titano, Selle Italia Filante, Nashbar Glide. I’m very comfortable on all of them. They all have a similar shape and narrow nose.  The Glide is very similar to a  Fizik Arione and made by Velo saddles. The problem is what I or any one else suggest. Might be the best or worst saddle for you. It all depends on where your sit bones fit the saddle. Chaffing is from a saddle not fitted properly or its too wide. It can also be from the shorts you wear. For comfort you need padded shorts for moisture control. A narrow nosed saddle with proper sit bone contact points. A saddle with little padding too. A firm saddle that doesn’t move around much. Any movement can cause chaffing. Don’t forget the Gold Bond on the pad. Moisture control is a must to prevent rash and chaffing. Some people are just unlucky and chaffing is going to occur no matter how well designed a saddle. There physiology just causes rubbing. Thats when to break out the B U T T butter type creams. As they say. A little dab will do ya. In the end, pun intended. You just have to try saddles till you find the combination that works. Your LBS will be happy to help you.

CyclingCyclone, March 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

Most defiantly use some sort of chamois-anti chafe cream in your cycling shorts, and your rear end area will thank you.  If you haven’t, go to your local bike shop and pick some up and give it a try. Also, I’ve seen it at the expo as well.  

There are a ton of different products out there.  Old guys- and gals use to use and probably still do Bag balm. I hear some folks make their own.  Nowdays most are non greasy, and come with some sort anti-bacterial or cooling properties. I’ve been using the chamois buttr euro style for a few years now, and like it a lot.  not overly priced, and you can even get them in “single serving” packets.  Just don’t mix them up with your gel pack.  

Body glide, Brave Soldier, DZ Nuts along with a few others are what you’ll find out there..
Once you start riding with chamois cream, you’ll find it hard not to ride without it.   

pHIlo, March 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm

You know back when we used chamois,  I used to use cream.  Haven’t used it in decades.  Got some at the expo last year, but never got around to using it. I might try some Gold Bond this  year

BIANCHIBRETT2, March 27, 2011 at 6:37 pm

jwsknk said: gee, I get to be the first to mention Brooks, 10 + years with it,they take a little care but it’s been worth it for me.

I second the Brooks B17.  I ride in excess of 200 miles in a sitting (so to speak) and have never had a problem.  There are many good saddles out there but the most commonly praised saddle I have found to be the Brooks.  There are rumours that someone with a Brooks saddle rode to Clearwater last year wearing nothing on the bottomside but a thong with no ill effects but I won’t comment on that.  I will say, never take a bet after drinking copius quantities of beer!  See you on the road!

Viewing 8 replies - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI