RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

San Diego RAGBRAI Training

Just checking to see if there are an7 RAGBRAIers in Southern California who would be interested in meeting for some casual, RAGBRAI style rides. I moved out here last summer and have noticed that there are a ton of cyclists in the area but they all seem to be of the Lance Armstrong wannabe variety. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…but cycling is a social activity for me and I enjoy the pit stops along the ride almost as much as the ride itself.

-Eric

11 Replies

buttercupdog, March 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Hi Eric.

Hopefully there are a wide variety of bike clubs near San Diego? I live in the IE and work in Temecula. I would love to. Are you doing the ride in June out of Encinitas? I am thinking of signing up for that one. Another thought, bike shops usually offer all kinds of rides.

Christine

Pdiddly, March 3, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Eric,
I’ll be in sd next weekend visiting my son, bringing the bike too. If you’re near Mission beach I’d be happy to put a few miles in with you! I’m a NorCal rider going back for no. 2 Ragbrai

villis85, March 3, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Christine – I haven’t heard anything about the ride out of Encinitas in June. What’s the destination for that one?

Paul – I’d be down to ride on Saturday if you want. Maybe meet near Mission Beach mid morning or something?

Zinger, March 4, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I’m flying in to San Diego tomorrow to spend a week. Can’t wait to explore sunny California for the first time especially since we are due to get 4-8 inches of snow here in Iowa tonight!! We’re mainly there for the San Diego Half Marathon on the 10th, but hope to do a little biking around the bay also. It’s always a small world where RAGBRAI is concerned!!

villis85, March 4, 2013 at 9:22 pm

This is a perfect time to escape to San Diego for a week. I’ll be running the half marathon on Sunday as well. If you’re interested in riding on Saturday let me know. I think 10 am or so would be a good time to meet at Mission Beach.

jwsknk, March 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm

6 Tall Dogs now have 1 bike in San Diego.

http://www.bikeiowa.com/News/5755/munson-old-dogs-plan-new-trick-on-bikes-3000-mile-trek

“Sort of thought I was dreaming when I opened the door. And then realized that the back door, although they were shut, the lock was gone,” said group member Bob German.

Five of the group’s six bikes were stolen from the team’s trailer. The trailer was found broken open Monday morning, with computers and other gear also taken

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/Iowans-bicycles-stolen-during-3-000-mile-ride/-/9357080/19187404/-/nwfq7k/-/index.html#ixzz2MhLm0y55

Pdiddly, March 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm

So sorry, my trip got post-poned. Let me know if you’re up in the Bay Area (Vallejo/Napa) and we’ll ride.

Reed, March 5, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Eric: I can relate. I am more into touring than competitive cycling. I moved to North County San Diego 4 years ago from Iowa/Nebraska. I am 52 years old and ride mostly with guys and gals in their 60’s. I enjoy the ride and views more than grinding it out. I am going back for Ragbrai 2013 with two of my friends from here in San Diego. We rode about 32 miles today. I also periodically ride with a group of seniors on Thursday mornings from Carlsbad or Swamis. I live near Swamis Beach and ride up and down Highway 101 on a regular basis.

buttercupdog, March 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Eric,

Look up San Diego Century tour. I am debating whether I will ride. There are three mileages to choose from. Goes along the coast. (and the longer go up some good climbs.) Well put-together event.

Christine

Kevin Mickey, April 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm

If you’re looking for group rides, UCC (Across I-5 from the Mormon Temple @Nobel) has a Saturday morning ride starting from their parking lot. The Trek Superstores sponsor weekly “get ready for the century” rides, also on Saturdays, starting in various places around the county. I think their ride is about 50 miles this week.

Josh, June 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hi Eric – I am also training for RAGBRAI in SD and am open to rides on the next few weekends as the time is getting closer. Send me a message if interested, and I can ping over my email.

Josh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters