RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

San Franciisco to ragbrai

Hi, I’m an Englishman and his wife who’s visiting the US in June July and August. I’m doing Ragbrai. I will be in San Francisco imeadiently prior to the ride and would welcome any help and advice on the best way to get to Iowa.

9 Replies

rjjensenia, March 6, 2012 at 3:21 pm

It depends on your mode of transport. If you plan on driving. Interstate 80 is your best bet. If you have a little extra time for some OUTSTANDING scenery then at Salt Lake City drop down to Arches Nat Park and then continue east on Interstate 70 to Denver. The drive through Colorado alone is worth the trip.

rjj

jwsknk, March 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm

driving go north across the brodge, through Napa, Sutters Mill, Virginia City, across the 40 Mile Desert, then up into Idaho, Twin Falls (higher than Niagara but not quite as wide)into Yellowstone from the west, exit east into Cody. head for Deadwood South Dakota, drop down to Mt. Rushmore, then Crazy Horse then back up to Interstate 90 to Sioux Falls.
Did most of that by bike, except we went across northern Nebraska to Sioux City.

Sandaltan ., March 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Tony!!!!!!!!!!! Could be a cousin!

With your bicycle Brit??

Rail to Omaha might be interesting….lots of possibilities.

RIDE RIGHT

kurmdgn, March 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm

If you just want to make good time driving, I-80 is the route. For comparison, I leave usually Portland OR on Wed and follow I84 to Salt Lake
and then follow I-80 across to Omaha. I usually stop in Twin Falls,ID,
Cheyenne WY, and then Iowa. This breaks the trip up into 3 approximately
equal days(~10 hours ) of just daytime driving. Leaving on Wed gets me
there on Fri and a chance to just relax at the starting town on Sat.

Bruce, March 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I am driving from Central California with an enclosed trailer. Are you in need of bike transport?

drew buck, March 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Wow how nice to have several responces in such a short time. I’m looking into the Califonia Zephar train ride, or possibly Greyhounds. Anyone with any advise on this would be appreciated. Look forward to meeting some of you in July.
regards Drew

jwsknk, March 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Zepher will get you to Omaha, probably behind schedual. Check to see what charters you can hook up with to get you to Sioux Center.

Sandaltan ., March 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Be advised, or better yet warned,our rail service in the U.S. of A is not as punctual as what you are accustomed to.

RIDE RIGHT

Browner, March 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

I would go with the California Zephyr over Greyhound. Greyhounds can be scary and are pretty cramped spaces for long distances. I have rode the Zephyr several times from Chicago to central Iowa. About a 6 hour trip. There is plenty of room to walk around. There is a dining car, a bar car and a glass top observation car. They also show movies after dark in the observation car. I think it would be a great way to see a lot of different scenery on the way from Cali.

The trip to Omaha is probably close to 42 hours. I think there is also a couple hour layover in Denver while they refuel the train.

Wikipedia has a good article on the Zephyr. And Amtrak has a PDF Route guide at this link. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732511&cid=1241337978894

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters