set the record

Most ambitiously named town — New York
Least noticeable town — Fredonia
Best value of food — two eggs and ham on stick for $1 served by major of Rathbun
Most difficult climb — right out of Ottumwa
Most unusual entertainment — bi-plane ride outside of Blakesburg
Most crowded road section — the junction of X17 and Hwy 92, bikes, vehicles and Iowa craft beer garden just before Columbus Junction

7 Replies

GORDON BROWN, August 2, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Towns that didn’t get it:

Unionville and Letts. No beer in Unionville due to the mayor and one tiny bar in Letts that was packed like sardines. How much money did the religious views of those in charge cheat those towns out of. They were dead, no music, no activities, dead silent… blah… ride on.

We’re called locust with money for a reason.

Towns that got it: Most of them, that goes 10,000x for West Chester. That little crook in the road, not even a town, GOT IT!! Man did they make money, memories, and provide a great time.

RDaryl Daryl, August 2, 2016 at 10:18 pm

We spent a few rounds at the non-crowded bar in Letts – it looked closed from the outside. Although prices fluctuated from $4 to $3 to $5, we had a good experience and did not get rained on.

Felt sorry for the Cattlemen Steak guys in Corning who ended up with a food stand buried out of sight behind two tents in an orange-fenced area. Probably the best sandwich of the week once we found it.

Each pass-through town needs a volunteer team with great leaders to organize the great hospitality we experience. TJ and Scott do a great job at giving these towns guidance for success. However, a few towns are afraid of the RAGBRAI “unknown” and choose to close their blinds/stay indoors as a result.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 2, 2016 at 10:34 pm

After almost 45 years, RAGBRAI is hardly “unknown” to these people.  Maybe they’re just a bunch of old fuddy-duddy stick-in-the-muds who can’t stand to see someone else having a good time.

-“BB”-

RDaryl Daryl, August 2, 2016 at 10:55 pm

I felt sad for the lady in Leon who lived across from our camp and did not want us there. She could have met a lot of neat people, had great conversations, laughed a lot, and created positive personal once-in-a-lifetime memories.

ppayne1959, August 3, 2016 at 7:55 am

Don’t forget the angry guy at Prescott. I think he really turned a lot of people off. It was also the last town that day but it was dead. The legion food stand was idle and the beer garden empty.

cyduke, August 3, 2016 at 10:28 am

I wonder if those who had a problem with RAGBRAI going through or staying in their town realize the economic impact the ride has on the state, and their communities? Doubt it.
It’s with this in mind why my buddies and I would seek out local places to eat or give our business to instead of the travelling fair food vendors -figuring the money we give a local gets re-invested in their area.

All in all, another great year.

Julie Peden, August 4, 2016 at 8:04 am

This was my first Ragbrai and while much of it was a bit of a blurrrr as I cycled in, out and past some towns overall I felt very welcomed. I was impressed with everyone’s riding etiquette, loved riding while the sun was rising, eating food I would probably never eat at home, meeting new friends and using a fair amount of butt butter. This ride will be etched in my memory forever and will always be special. Thanks to all of the towns that came out in full force to welcome us, the US Air Force for their commitment to helping and to the veteran Ragbrai riders who who told the things not to miss along they way each day. It was a tough balance between enjoying all of the festivities, getting into the sleepover town by a decent hour and getting some sleep before 4:30 am came. Thank you for this terrific experience.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015