Share your memories & make me envious!

I was, unfortunately, unable to ride Ragbrai this year. Although I’ve been following the website, forum posts, etc, and I was in Iowa in spirit, it just wasn’t the same.

Please share your memories, good and bad. I promise not to be too jealous!

See you next year along the I-O-Way.

5 Replies

Cory Rood, July 27, 2019 at 5:47 pm

My wife and I got to spend Tuesday on our Triple with our 6 year old. Soooo many memories. He had an amazing time. His smile when we rolled up to a road side slip-n-slide and turning him loose was pretty amazing.

Sandaltan ., July 27, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Carrot cake, 4 inches by 6 inches and three inches high not counting the inch of cream cheese frosting for two bucks. Sold to me by the delicate hand that had baked this wondrous morsel very early that same morning. See yall next year I hope.

RIDE RIGHT

hnschipper, July 27, 2019 at 10:07 pm

My 7 year old nephew rode partial days with us this week on his WeeHoo trailer. He loved it, and he loved all the people that talked to him and gave him stickers. He even got a koala finger puppets from a rider from Australia. All of you who said hi to Aiden from Team Inchworm, you made his day! He asked to ride a full day one day, and he wants to ride his own bike next year. (We’ll see about that – he turns 8 next week, and he would have to really work up to being able to ride his own bike.) I’m hoping he’ll be tall enough next year to ride on the back of the tandem!

Jboz, July 28, 2019 at 6:37 am

Stopped at an Amish stand for fresh pie and coffee. I sat down next to a non-rider “good old boy type” who reminded me of Larry the Cable Guy and was obviously wasn’t Amish, but was with them. We struck up a conversation, and he explained that he was their driver for the week because they don’t operate motor vehicles. He sat there and made fun of them for about 10 minutes with them right there and within easy earshot. But it wasn’t in a mean way, just kind of the way guys rip on each other, but still a little uncomfortable. Then one of the older Amish men came over and started ripping on him, good natured of course, and we all started laughing. It was one of those “only on Ragbrai” slice-of-life moments to go along with my slice of pie (which was delicious by the way).

Sunflower, July 28, 2019 at 6:36 pm

My son was on his own bike at 8.

If your nephew can ride a straight line without thinking about it and has a calm personality there may not be a reason to be on anything other than his own bike.

Children have a hard time contributing to a tandem, energy-wise, and they seem to know it. There’s a qualitative difference in the body language of a kid on a tandem and a kid on their own bike.

This does boil down to a judgement call about maturity- mostly in terms of the child’s ability to make good risk/reward decisions around physical risk.

But 8 can be plenty old for riding their own bike.

Of course tandems are fun too, but that doesn’t have to be an intermediate step.

This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Sunflower.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015