Shoeing

Any of you outdoor types snowshoe?  I’m still getting back into it after ~40 years.  What a way to bust a sweat!

Having a hard time keeping the snow off the back of my pantlegs … need to work on my form some more.

More snow tonight!

13 Replies

scooter, December 23, 2010 at 11:09 am

Just started last year. I really love it. And your right it is a great work out.

Tony, December 23, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Hi Phil, The last time I went snow shoeing I was 17. It was in the Rockies west of Golden. We camped for Christmas at a Forest Service A frame cabin. It was at the tree line. A couple of rangers were cross country skiing. I asked one of them about all the little pine trees we where shoeing through. They both laughed. They were the tops of full grown trees. They stopped at the A frame to warn us they were going to blast the over hang of snow on the ridge. They told us to stay put till they got back. They told us it was safe to watch though from the A frame. It was awesome to see them blast it with a rocket launcher. The avalache was small. But still awesome to see. I haven’t been on snow shoes since. While the ridge was not that far away. It took us 4 hours to get up there and back from the A frame. What a view. Now I hate being cold. I’m getting old.

Sandaltan ., December 23, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Not “old” Tony.  Mature is the word I use.  Have a Merry Christmas.
RIDE RIGHT

pHIlo, December 26, 2010 at 8:59 am

Hey Tony,  it’s about the same for me … I used to do it in Scouts at Wildcat Den & Scout CO Park in the late 60’s/early 70’s.  It was a blast then, it still is now, but as I said above I need to work on my form.  It’s a glorious day out today & a good day for it.!!!!

helenheart, December 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I use to snowshoe but gave it up once I realized I prefer x country skiing. Both great workouts though. They say x country uses more muscles in the body than any other sport. In Aspen I used to shoe up the side of the ski slopes for exercise and ride the lifts back down, for free. It was a very popular pastime and kept us all fit.

Send us a youtube of your form and we will all critique it! xo

Michrider !!!, December 26, 2010 at 2:07 pm

helenheart said: I use to snowshoe but gave it up once I realized I prefer x country skiing. Both great workouts though. They say x country uses more muscles in the body than any other sport. In Aspen I used to shoe up the side of the ski slopes for exercise and ride the lifts back down, for free. It was a very popular pastime and kept us all fit.

Send us a youtube of your form and we will all critique it! xo

I’d love to try “Snowshoeing” but I live in Kentucky and we only wear shoes when we go to the city!

1988 Hawkeye, December 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I live in Olympia, WA and just got a pair of snowshoes for Christmas this year.  I will be snowshoeing around Mt. Rainer this winter.  On the sunny days it will be hard to choose between the mountain and my bike down below snow line :)  

Gaiters help to keep the snow off of your pants.  I also use my gaiters when it is really raining to keep the rain out of my shoes when I’m bike to work (yes, it does rain that much here in WA).

Satman, December 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm

In the 70’s, at Michigan Tech, on Michigan’s Keewanaw Penninsula, jutting out into Lake Superior, we could check snowshoes out from the gym.  Winter 78-79, there were over 450″ of snow ~ We would pack a lunch; wine cheese, etc. and on weekend afternoons, hit the logging trails for the day ~ What a blast!

jwsknk, December 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm

you can come shoe in Ames in Feb. Story County Conservation “Trek the Trails” showshoe race in McFarland Park. Only 4 miles, I think, through prarie,around the lake, through the woods, and down by the river. Oh yeah, then back up.Awards will be at 11:30 a.m. with a hot lunch for all participants. Age brackets are 19 and under; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; and 60 and older. There will be prizes for the overall male and female finishers in each category, awards for top finishers in each age bracket, and door prizes. Proceeds will benefit Story County’s trail projects.
http://www.storycounty.com/index.aspx?DN=6097,15,6,1,documents

bivy Iverson, January 4, 2011 at 11:35 am

I have been X country skiing for 35 years, and snow shoeing just recently.  I think I prefer the snowshoeing by a slight margin.  Only because it allows me access to more remote, wooded areas that skiing can’t get me near.  Up here in Decorah we use many mountain bike trails for both; the bottom lands, hilltop and meadow trails for skiing, and the hillside and remote trails for shoes.  It has been an excellent year for both so far.  There are so many people snow shoeing, that after a few days you can walk the trails without the snowshoes, and there are miles of trails developed by the Human Powered Trails Committee.  

pHIlo, January 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm

1988 Hawkeye said: Gaiters help to keep the snow off of your pants.  I also use my gaiters when it is really raining to keep the rain out of my shoes when I’m bike to work (yes, it does rain that much here in WA).

pHIlo sez:  I use gaiters to mid-calf, but I get snow above that too! 

When I lived in WA (Kitsap), we used to just tell the folk from Cali, or from the right-coast that it rained alot.

David Ertl, January 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I just got a pair for Christmas and immediately froze my calves.  The next day I wore a pair of wind pants over my tights and that allowed the snow to slide right off.  The next day the snow melted :(
I was amazed at how hard it could be, especially when running in them uphills.

Satman, January 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm

But how many times did you fall-down from crossing shoes??
I won’t forget that learning curve!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI