RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Should shopping carts be allowed to form pace lines?

Since shopping carts are designed to fit inside one another end to end, it would seem this could be a real hazard to those doing RAGBRAI in a shopping cart should they form a pace line. I also think most shopping cart riders will end up with that other guy walking up the hills.

Thoughts?

22 Replies

pedalpushinmama, April 24, 2012 at 9:02 am

“Bicycle Bill”:
No offense intended, Roberto, and none taken.It’s just that a post about grocery carts on RAGBRAI(?) was from so far out in left field. I would normally have made a reference to a little too much ‘adult beverage’ but since yesterday was 4/20, well…..

-”BB”-

;-)

Sandaltan ., April 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Is a used or reconditioned shopping cart as good as a new cart??? You can get a good deal on used and/or reconditioned but are they safe? I know I would never buy plastic…….steel is real ya know.

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, April 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Sandaltan: Is a used or reconditioned shopping cart as good as a new cart??? You can get a good deal on used and/or reconditioned but are they safe? I know I would never buy plastic…….steel is real ya know.RIDE RIGHT

only if they have new carbon forks and cupholders. (Or titanium sporks)

giantron, April 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm

For real safety make sure you get one with a seat belt.

CyclingRoberto, April 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Older carts, like older farts, tend to be the most reliable. The newer plastic carts will never hold up over the long haul. They are safe as long as 3 of the four wheels track in a straight line. The wobbly fourth wheel (as we all know) is never really an issue.

:mrgreen:

Browner, April 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

This thread is not so far from the truth… Check out this cart bike.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/#step1

Sandaltan ., April 27, 2012 at 10:10 am

Browner:
This thread is not so far from the truth…Check out this cart bike.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/#step1

We dream it and he did it…….and without the use of duct tape. I marvel at anyone who can do this type of “Red Green” project without the use of duct tape.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI