The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

shuttle service/camping in yards

i was wondering what the cost of a shuttle service would be from keokuk to the stsaring line? and can i just pull up and camp anywhere i can find a spot or do i have to ask around. i thought at the end of the day i would just ask around. thanks
btw, i aint going to pay no lottery!!

8 Replies

travis, February 11, 2019 at 9:07 am

The cost for a bus ride from the starting town from keokuk is about 155.00 depending which service you go with and to ride the charter buses you have to be registered for ragbrai also thet transport your bike and gear to

Randall Murphy, February 11, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Prince, none of the charters will sell you any services unless you have a wrist band number to prove that you have paid your registration. I have used a charter for fifteen years and I fully support the Registers position on this. If the $185 is too much for you to get in the game maybe you should consider a different ride.

Jboz, February 11, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Prince, you don’t “pay for the lottery”. You pay to participate in RAGBRAI. If for some reason the lottery doesn’t yield you a wristband, you don’t pay. It’s that simple. The $185 is a small contribution to offset a whole lot of effort on the part of the organizers. The RAGRAI staff do all the route planning, logistics, they maintain this website, they pay salaries for permanent employees, there is administration, overhead, vehicles, insurance, marketing, and probably lots more that we riders aren’t even aware of. The money financially sustains this great ride so that it can continue and thrive, and I’m pretty sure nobody is getting rich off RAGBRAI. If money is so tight that you are willing to freeload while others pay their fair share, then perhaps your time would be better spent that week earning some money. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, but the people who pay for these wristbands don’t exactly have money to throw around either, yet they somehow find a way to do the right thing.

prince page, February 11, 2019 at 3:56 pm

it’s not the money it’s the fact that it is very hard to find your gear each day . believe me i would love to not carry a thing but my bike. btw, i mean i herd its a chore to wade through all those tents to find yours

Randall Murphy, February 11, 2019 at 4:11 pm

I have to say that you have a lot of balls to flat out refuse to pay the registration fee and then post in this forum asking for advice. This forum is paid for by everyone that registers and pays the price of admission. You’re asking those of us who pay to help you cheat. Please reconsider or stay home.

ESchiers, February 11, 2019 at 5:51 pm

P.P. are you serious? The amount of drama you’ve created this year (and previous year’s postings) and you don’t register to ride because you believe it’s too hard to find your bags. Lame, really lame. I agree with Randall Murphy. Register to ride or get off the forum because the stuff you’re saying isn’t friendly or encouraging. You’ve been to the ride, stop asking things you already know. How’d you get to the start town in the years before 2019?

sonofalon, February 12, 2019 at 1:09 pm

Pork Belly Ventures just sent out an email with its price for East to West shuttle. $160 per person. You, your bike and your baggage. Also, try joining a team. Many teams transport their own baggage across Iowa.

mootsman, February 12, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Even if you carry your own baggage you still pay the fee & register. There are many costs to put on RAGBRAI beyond transporting your luggage. Among them are admin salaries, paying the State Troopers (RAGBRAI gets charged for their service), event insurance, emergency service coverage, route planning/mapping, computer services for registration & this website, and more. Yes, the roads are free but everything that makes RAGBRAI what it is, costs money.

And no one is allowed to just put up tents where ever. Teams and charters find their places in advance (and pay them). And the RAGBRAI campground of course which is paid for also. Plus restroom access or Kybos need to be reserved in advance and paid for also.

If you want a free ride, you can do your own ride anytime.

This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  mootsman.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013