Sigh: Tomorrow should be Day 1 of the double cross

I am among those who was planning to do the back/forth ride. My retirement earlier this year made it possible. Right now I should be in Dubuque with tent pitched and getting ready for a beautiful day tomorrow with 58 miles and the Field of Dreams loop. But the stars didn’t exactly align this year.

Without any history with IR, there is no big sense of loss today, nor will there be one tomorrow other than mild disappointment. But RAGBRAI is near and dear to my heart, and I suspect next weekend will be tough…especially if the weather is perfect. I will of course be out riding, but it just won’t be the same.

Deep sigh…

12 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, July 12, 2020 at 1:02 am

You’re retired?  You lucky dog!!

Just remind yourself — even a bad day riding solo is better than a great day at work.
-“BB”-

Tom Hotle, July 12, 2020 at 7:53 am

It’s not too late to sign up for the Missouri Double Cross, which starts 7/19 in Defiance….capped at 250 riders but I believe there is still room.

NYC Highwheeler, July 12, 2020 at 12:41 pm

Sigh indeed! I would have been on the double cross with you. It is really a disappointment to be just going to work and having all the fun stuff canceled this year. All work and no play is certainly making me a dull boy.
Well, at least you will be on your bike, and enjoying flush toilets, showers without lines, and all the other stuff we take for granted most of the year.

I’ll see everyone on the 2021 Double Cross. Still planning to ride from Iowa’s Ride to the start town of RAGBRAI (Sheldon to LeMars) on Saturday.
https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/bicycle-ride-from-sheldon-to-le-mars/#post-1312994

Cheers to you Jboz! Happy retirement!

This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by NYC Highwheeler.

mootsman, July 12, 2020 at 3:59 pm

For everyone that was planning on doing both I hope IR does not go the way of TJ. Sadly if the founder departs more then a year before the first IR takes place, it is not a good sign for IR ever happening. You could start to advertise on this forum for a team that will ride the RAGBRAI route backwards the week before.

This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

Jboz, July 12, 2020 at 6:11 pm

You could start to advertise on this forum for a team that will ride the RAGBRAI route backwards the week before.

I think if Iowa’s Ride accomplished anything, it’s that there is a definite market for a back-and-forth option. Obviously not as big as the real deal, but I’m surprised how many people were planning on the double cross. Assuming IR will fade away (and I’m sure it will), RAGBRAI should jump on this…a smaller, scaled down, retro version. If not, I’m sure some enterprising person with access to a few vans could provide basic baggage transport for a few dozen people and make it reasonably profitable.

mootsman, July 13, 2020 at 7:46 am

Jboz,

I think you’re right, RAGBRAI should consider it. But instead of a different route just a reverse route of RAGBRAI that year to make the logistics super simple. If they don’t a team or 2 could start it up to prove the reverse route is viable. Maybe IR will survive but in league with RAGBRAI for the same route backwards each year.

Jboz, July 13, 2020 at 8:22 am

The reverse route would present some interesting opportunities. For me anyway, one of the biggest frustrations of RAGBRAI is the logistics of a one-way ride and cross-state shuttles. The back/forth would allow people to start and finish in the same spot…just ride back to your car. If you don’t want to do the full 2 weeks, you could jump on the east>west route halfway through, then “finish” RAGBRAI a few days early.

KenH, July 14, 2020 at 8:12 am

I assume that a lot of the interest in the double cross was an expression of loyalty to TJ rather than interest in the concept itself. I think it was and will be a fine opportunity if it actually comes off as planned. However, the looks on our spouses faces when we tell them we will be gone bike riding for two weeks in a row is a strong deterrent for many of us!

mootsman, July 14, 2020 at 12:23 pm

What might be a fun option for 1-weekers is a RAGBRAI that loops back mid-way. On day 4 the loop back option would turn off the 1 week route and loop back on a different route to the same over night town as the night before. Then follow the 1st 3 days in reverse to get back to their car.

T. Gap Woo, July 14, 2020 at 1:10 pm

To jboz and other recent retirees,

Welcome to “Retirement” aka “The Land of the Perpetual Honey-do List.” I, too, feel your pain over the loss of Ragbrai this year, in more ways than one.

At a time when I should have been buttoning down those last minute details that always crop up before heading west, Mrs Woo whipped out some additions to her endless Honey-do list.

Here’s what I did in the past week (!):

– power wash the siding on the house

– paint the bathroom

– trim the hedges

– remove the old rain gutter guards and clean the gutters

– install new gutter guards to replace the ones that broke when I removed them (“if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” comes to mind)

– shampoo the carpets, while the sun is shining, the humidity is low and there’s a nice breeze

– rearrange the living room furniture, since everything is topsy-turvy anyway.

I’d love to go for a bike ride now, but since the floodwaters have subsided and things have dried out after Tropical Storm Fay passed through, I’m off to mow the back forty instead.

*Sigh* indeed!

See you along the I-O-Way in 2021.

This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by T. Gap Woo.

Jboz, July 14, 2020 at 2:56 pm

T Gap – I do believe Mrs Woo and Mrs Boz are related.

Dizzy, July 20, 2020 at 6:47 pm

Greetings Double X Colleagues,
Day 9 of the Virtual Iowa Double X in the bag. I’m getting pretty sore w/all the muscles aching. It’s been extremely hot w/high humidity. My overnight hosts has been providing AC and a bed each night (like the RAGBRAI-t says…”The Overnight Town is My House”.
It’s looking like I’ll finally get rain on Wednesday so I may have to SAG!

I like the idea of back-tracking the RAGBRAI route the week prior making the Double X so much easier on logistics. I’m still in for the Double X in 2021. D

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015