RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Single Speed

Looking to ride this year on a single speed. I have seen older posts about it (circa 2013), but would be curious of people’s recent experiences. Looking forward to a new adventure.

5 Replies

Brian Wallenburg, March 27, 2017 at 12:57 pm

You’ll be one of many!

Anonymous, March 27, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I am an old guy. This will be 21st RAGBRAI…I ride fixed gear. No big whoop. You will be fine.

Jack in VA, March 27, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Hi Eric.
With the northern route being much flatter than last year, there will likely be considerably more FG/SS bikes out this July. I’ve been doing RAGBRAI fixed and SS since ’08 (except for LAST year – brought the gears instead). I’m running a 48/17 gearing.

The last couple days will be quite hilly though – I’ll probably flip over to the free-wheel side to coast downhill. Depending on how steep and how long the uphills are, we might build up some leg muscles pushing the bike up the hills.

“Ain’t no hill so steep that I can’t walk up it while pushing my bike”

Eric Boyle, March 27, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Thanks. Should be fun. Enjoy.

Archy Texas, March 29, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Eric,

I have ridden two RAGBRAIs on a single speed with 42 x 17 gearing. Last year’s route was significantly hillier than this year’s and I had no problems. You won’t see many single/fixies on route but there are a few of the brotherhood out there.

The only issue I encounter is on hills, where as a single/fixie rider, you have to attack the hill to keep your momentum and if its crowded with people plodding/walking up the hill, you can get stuck in traffic. All the more reason to leave at dawn to avoid the crowds.

The last day on this year’s ride will be the hardest for us. Its going to be awesome. See you out there!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI