Sioux City to Orange City – July 22

I’m looking for a group to ride with on Saturday, July 22nd. Dip in Missouri and go the 40 miles for the Sunday start. There has to be folks doing this….

5 Replies

Cory Rood, May 1, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Sioux City to Orange City will be more than 40 miles, more like around 60-65 miles.

That said I’m subscribing, debating between Sioux City to Orange City or Hawarden to Orange City.

I’m not familar enough with the area to plan a route from either other than avoiding highway 10, 75 and 60

Lorna Mayo, May 2, 2017 at 2:34 am

I’m interested in a western tire dip & prefer a group too. I’m arriving in Orange City via shuttle/charter from Lansing so am not sure about the timing. But if possible count me in.

Paul Leguillon, May 2, 2017 at 7:55 am

A couple of us want to do the same thing. We registered with the Out of Stater’s charter service and will be looking to get our tires dipped on Saturday. Hope to see you all.

Bernard Schwartze, May 2, 2017 at 2:55 pm

This will be my first RAGBRAI and I’ve been thinking about this too. A few years ago, the tire dip was at the Hilton Garden Inn in Sioux City.

Routing with Google Maps offers two options. The short route to Orange City is up US75/IA60 and is 45 miles (elevation gain 522 ft). My wife says no.

The long option goes west on the bike path and then north out of Sioux City on IA HWY 12 for about 10 miles. Then turn onto county road K18 for about 20 miles. Then east on county road B58 (parts are gravel) until you are almost there. The total distance is 61 miles (elevation gain 1400ft). My wife is not enthused.

Any other routing ideas? US75/IA60 is not my idea of a good time on a bike. I’ve driven it many times and it is like an interstate highway.

Thanks,

Bernie S.

Paul Leguillon, May 2, 2017 at 3:07 pm

What about doing Orange City to Akron. That looks to be more like 35 miles and looks like maybe smaller roads; I see CR12 over to Route 12. Anyone have any knowledge of something like that? Also, another option, what about the possibility of taking bikes on a bus or shuttle one way to the River and then riding back Saturday? That 61 mile route using paths might be more of an option if we are only riding one of the ways. Info much appreciated. -Paul

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI